cajunwings

Well Known Member
Oponions please. As part of the rebuild my 9A is becoming a 9. Considering either removing the steps entirely or maybe shortening them by about 50%. My wife and I are not long legged tall folks. Can any of you 9 drivers tell me the distance from the ground the wing walk? What have the rest of the (A) to tailwheel converts done with your steps? Thanks y'all.

Don Broussard
RV 9 Engine build done, back to metal work.

9A to 9 conversion

Kept both left and right steps in place. Use them every time I get out and in! Would recommend installing both just as if it were a 9A . If I get over to the hanger today I'll send you some measurements.

Tail wheel ???

I'm curious as to why you are converting to a tail wheel? I have a RV3 which is a tail wheel of course and fun to fly but that is the way it was designed. One thing about a tail dragger is that I'm sure that I have more room under the engine to put stuff than if I had a nose wheel and all it's supporting metal brackets.

I did this same conversion, left the steps on. Very glad I did (and saves having to patch a hole in the fuselage).

Greg

I'm curious as to why you are converting to a tail wheel? I have a RV3 which is a tail wheel of course and fun to fly but that is the way it was designed. One thing about a tail dragger is that I'm sure that I have more room under the engine to put stuff than if I had a nose wheel and all it's supporting metal brackets.

Not to mention that you lose about 15-20 pounds.

Greg

Mine s started life as a taildragger without steps and while I wouldn't put them in now, some passengers will benefit from them. Also, there is no reason to cut them down.

Welcome to the club! The -9 is one of the easiest taildraggers I've ever flown.

RV 9 steps

Just measured the steps on my RV9 , measuring from the ground up vertically the step is at 9 1/2 inches and the TE of the flaps is at 19 inches ( fully retracted) the TE of the flap is 3 inches forward measuring horizontally from the steps front edge. . Dennis

Steps

The 9 was designed to be a taildragger too. The main reason this plane will have a tailwheel is because I want one. I've always enjoyed flying tailwheels and to me they look "right". There are some debatable-practical reasons, a little less weight, drag and parts count. Possibly a little less upkeep and expense maintaining the third wheel if its in the back. I like the A models too and have no qualms about flying them.

Steps

Just measured the steps on my RV9 , measuring from the ground up vertically the step is at 9 1/2 inches and the TE of the flaps is at 19 inches ( fully retracted) the TE of the flap is 3 inches forward measuring horizontally from the steps front edge. . Dennis

Thanks Dennis: I'm at work flying this week and at the moment trying to mock up those measurements with the furniture pieces in the hotel room. Looks like no steps could work but might be nice to have. Don

I added a step to the passenger side of my RV-6 after a frequent passenger started having difficult getting up and down the wing. The standard step was too long, just looked goofy with the step being too close to the ground. I shortened the step three inches so it would be halfway between the wing and ground and now it looks like it was designed for the taildragger.

Steps

I added a step to the passenger side of my RV-6 after a frequent passenger started having difficult getting up and down the wing. The standard step was too long, just looked goofy with the step being too close to the ground. I shortened the step three inches so it would be halfway between the wing and ground and now it looks like it was designed for the taildragger.

That's what I was thinking, they look a little long for the 9 and if shortened should be stronger and lighter. It's a easy mod, they will be off the plane and I have pro welder buddy. Thanks Sam.