ron sterba

Well Known Member
Starting my power leads. I have two power leads to my Dynon Skyview. I need to connect them to ONE spade terminal. This is a ATC type fuse block by bussman. Do I lay the two wires side by side and crimp or solder the two at the tips of the wires together then crimp or just take both wires and twist them together and then crimp.????? All my other power leads were strip and crimp or double back and crimp. They all pasted the tug test. Looking for your advise on the last of the wires.

Ron 9a. Thanks!

Thanks Tim, good article, that's what I needed.Bob I have twisted several on wing tab type crimps that pulled out on my (after crimp pull) test of 24 awg. I just want this Dynon power splice the best it can be. Is there any place you would use solder other than ground sheath sleeves?

Thanks guys

Ron 9A

Thanks Tim, good article, that's what I needed.Bob I have twisted several on wing tab type crimps that pulled out on my (after crimp pull) test of 24 awg. I just want this Dynon power splice the best it can be. Is there any place you would use solder other than ground sheath sleeves?

Thanks guys

Ron 9A

I have only soldered in a "Y" splice with a solder sleeve. This where the terminal would have been over loaded, a ground. I did a lean solder first, then the sleeve. Otherwise, a good crimp and strain relief is good.

two wires

How bout a terminal block crimp a ring end on each wire and put to one screw on block and take the one wire off other screw.
Bob

Funny, I just made my Avionics power wires, and others, two 14 red Ga going to buss fuse block, I used those solder heat shrink fittings, 2.00 each, then load tested each wire 18 V DC 60 AMP for three seconds and watch amp meter for a steady and not falling current while feeling wire for heat and watching connectors. way overkill of a test but wires are GOOD!

There are crimp terminals called piggyback terminals. They have a female and a male tab. That is what I would use.

Thanks guys

Ron 9A

24 gauge seems a bit small for a power wire. And small wires are harder for me to crimp well.

Bob I should have been a little clearer. My twin power leads to the skyview are 20 awg. These are the two wires to one ATC power feed crimp terminal. The other reference to the 24 awg was power feed for a led single lamp.

Ron

When I crimp multiple wires into one connector I never twist them together. It makes it easier to get one not inserted as far as the other. Just push them in straight together and crimp. Don't forget to pull test them.