RV8R999

Well Known Member
For those who have used SIKA to bond the canopy...

Did you first remove the powder coating of the frame in the area where the SIKA will be in contact?

If no, has anyone researched the type of powder coating used, the method of application (thickness primarily), type of metal prep (sand blasting, chemical cleaning).

The SIKA method sounds interesting with some obvious benefits but I'm a little concerned about the long term (years) peel and adhesion strength of the powder coating as a substrate between the steel tube and the SIKA.

There is no question powder coating does have peel and adhesion limits. The issue is if these values degrade over time due to exposure, surface corrosion, etc... the effectiveness of the SIKA as a method for bonding the canopy is also a function of the durability of the powder coating as a substrate, assuming it was not removed first. Still looking for qualified research.

Mine's a tip-up and the sika was done over bare metal, using their prep and primer. If I were to do a slider, I would remove the powder coat from the area where the sika needs to adhere. I doubt it would be a problem but why take a chance?