shefferm

I'm New Here
Hello
I've mentioned that many builders are not painting the kit prior the maiden flight. Is it related to some technical reasons, or just a matter of polished metal look? Do those guys usually accomplish the paint work after finish the test flights?

Mike
RV-7
Almost done

Many builders choose to have their planes painted at a facility outside their phase 1 test area. So they can't easily get there until into phase two.

I am glad I waited

I still haven't painted and have about 55 hours on it. Now I'm ready to paint and glad I waited. I would have scratched my paint job with all the little things I did during phase 1. The nose gear fairing would have to be repainted for sure. But now I have things fitting just right.

Now I have to find a paint shop in the upper Midwest , any ideas?

+1 The parts come on and off a gazillion times during the build. Unless you build a perfect airplane you will most likely be making a few tweaks during phase 1 testing. I flew mine for 2 years before getting it painted. Other than the complaints from fellow RVers it worked out for me. YYMV

I painted mine after all major construction. I have firewall fwd left to do and to fit and paint cowling. You do have to be a little more carefull around it but I keep it covered with moving blankets. I also put a good coat of wax on it after about six months of paint curing. So far it's working well for me.

Bird

I painted mine before final assembly. As I hauled pieces from my garage, I stopped at a friends paint booth. It takes a little more care, but I would do it again for sure.