Michael Brown

I am about to order the deluxe gas caps from Vans. I can't decide whether to buy the locking one or the non-locking. I am thinking of getting the locking with the rising cost of fuel, but on the other had thats something else to fail. This plane will be hangered. What do you guys think?

I don't see this as becoming a serious problem in spite of the rising cost of fuel. Tampering with an aircraft is a FEDERAL offense that most would-be thieves don't want to deal with. I'm sure there will be instances of Avgas theft, but if you plan on having your plane in a locked hanger the chances of getting ripped off are slim to none.

Last edited:
Completely a personal decision for you. That's what's so great about these projects -- make it your plane. I would say you can't go wrong either way. Just be sure not to lose the key!

FWIW, the standard fuel caps are fine.

I am more concerned about failure of the lock and not being able to put fuel in my plane. I am in trouble if I lose the key, as I am sure the ignition key will be with it.

Don't Lock

Every time I configure the plane for a short race (less than 300 miles) I have to remove the tip tanks. In order to do that I have to get the unburned fuel out of them. I unscrew the drains and the fuel streams out so fast that if I have more than 5 galons left in them it requires some quick action to get the drain plug back in. If someone is interested in stealing your gas they wouldn't care if your caps were welded on. The operational problem potential is increased with no benefit.

Bob Axsom

Good points have been made that locking caps won't prevent fuel theft.

They should still help prevent vandalism (e.g. putting foreign substances INTO the tanks) and theft of the caps themselves.

If I remember correctly the openings for the locking caps are smaller and harder to see your fuel level while filling.

I don't see this as becoming a serious problem in spite of the rising cost of fuel. Tampering with an aircraft is a FEDERAL offense that most would-be thieves don't want to deal with. I'm sure there will be instances of Avgas theft, but if you plan on having your plane in a locked hanger the chances of getting ripped off are slim to none.
Back in the 70's, I think, Saturday Night Live introduced The Coneheads. The next day, our local airport had several airplanes missing their spinners! You have to be able to read the warning signs on the airport fence, or even care that you might be Federally prosecuted (or even locally prosecuted!) before you'll not vandalize an aircraft.

One thing locking gas caps are good at; keeping people from placing
stuff into your tank. While at OSH last year I purchased a pair of the
locking gas caps from andair (http://www.andair.co.uk/system/index.html).

See "locking fuel caps" on the left navigation menu. Pricey but very very
well constructed as is everything from andair. Plus they will engrave them
to your specifications. They proseal right into the existing vans gas cap
hole. Very nice.

I put the locking caps on because they're easier to open and close than the stock Van's ones (which you need a key to pry open anyway). Plus all the other reasons that people have mentioned. I have two sets of keys in the plane in different places just in case. :cool:

Locking caps may prevent others from putting stuff in but that doesn't mean you cant. We had a Kid drop his flashlight into the tank on a 172 here at riddle. Kinda a funny thing to hear over the radio as he called for maintenance explaining his "situation".