drmax

Well Known Member
Does this unit have the capability to show alternate airports within a programed flt path? My neighbor has something loaded on his tablet device, which he pays around $100 a year and he mentioned his software is the only, that gives this handy feature. I want the iFly, however.
Thx for sharing info. DM

great!

dr
It does have a nrst airport or navaid function.
Page 11 in manual.
thx, i'll look for an online manual. I think this thing should mount somewhere in an RV9A, right? I won't have time to put up any fancy ram mount. Any suggestions would be helpful at this point. Regards, DM

It's a great unit for the money. You'll love it, I promise. I've had both the 700 and 720 and the Adventure Pilot team continues to give surprises via software updates on both platforms...very much like what Apple does with its hardware.

It's a great unit for the money. You'll love it, I promise. I've had both the 700 and 720 and the Adventure Pilot team continues to give surprises via software updates on both platforms...very much like what Apple does with its hardware.
I'd want to add the additional receiver for weather/traffic.
Also, do you think battery really that necessary?

That battery has saved my butt a few times. Usually when using the unit in a strange aircraft.

I originally bought the battery to use in a Aeronca Champ with no electrical, now I leave it hooked up in line to the acc plug power every time I use it in an aircraft with 12V DC.

It keeps the battery fully charged as you fly, and if you have any type of electrical issue (total failure or intermittent connection from the acc plug) the battery keeps the unit running 100%.

Also it has come in handy allowing you to operate the unit anywhere/anytime...usually comes in handy when you're planning a long flight and want to fiddle with your flight plan. I especially like being able to sit in the plane to download the weather and TFRs (wirelessly on my 720) without the engine running or the master switch being on.

Anyway, it was only $99 and greatly enhanced the usability of the unit.

I'd want to add the additional receiver for weather/traffic.

I'd recommend the Skyradar-D2 as Adventure Pilot seems to support that one pretty well with each software update. I wish I had one, but most of my flying is low level VFR under the San Fran Class B...don't know that I can justify the $750 yet.

http://www.skyradar.net/purchase/buy-receiver.html

Edit: You might want to wait a bit to see what comes out in the next few months...having one connect wirelessly to the iFly would be pretty cool: http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/SUPPORT/Forum/tabid/108/forumid/14/postid/7258/scope/posts/Default.aspx#7258

Last edited:
I'd recommend the Skyradar-D2 as Adventure Pilot seems to support that one pretty well with each software update. I wish I had one, but most of my flying is low level VFR under the San Fran Class B...don't know that I can justify the $750 yet.

http://www.skyradar.net/purchase/buy-receiver.html

Edit: You might want to wait a bit to see what comes out in the next few months...having one connect wirelessly to the iFly would be pretty cool: http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/SUPPORT/Forum/tabid/108/forumid/14/postid/7258/scope/posts/Default.aspx#7258
I thought the iFly folks (at one time) told me a receiver would cost around 275. Unsure what model it was...

That would be great. Honestly, I'm not as plugged in to the ADSB market as I'd like. The Adventure Pilot forum would be a great place to find out though.

good info...any comparisons to AnywhereMap?

One day I'm sure I'll want to upgrade; it appears that iFly has really hit the market hard; for example, AnywhereMap has cut the price on it's units by about HALF!!!!
their latest, based on the well-received Samsung Galaxy Tab tablets ( 7" and 10" I think) are only $595 and $795 if I recall.
Not trying to put anyone off the iFly, just another data point.
...anyone able to compare the 2 units?

Right off the bat, I like their lifetime subscription plan. $690 for a lifetime usage. Buying the 12 month for VFR/IFR is more expensive than the iFly.

Looks like some neat features!

Right off the bat, I like their lifetime subscription plan. $690 for a lifetime usage. Buying the 12 month for VFR/IFR is more expensive than the iFly.

Looks like some neat features!

You've lost me...lifetime for which unit?

Anywhere Map offers a lifetime subscription. Adventure Pilot (iFly) doesn't.
just went to anywhere map website. i forgot about these folks. now i need to start doing the comparisons. unsure if they can add on weather and traffic, on there 10" tablet. That is a must fore me. Always gotta be something to research....;)

inputs/outputs

Do any of these portable gps's, such as the iFly, have a way to output to say, a digiflight 200 autopilot? I have maybe 1 wk, before I need to make a decision on a unit. Please advise. I'm gonna stay away from the ipad idea.

Do any of these portable gps's, such as the iFly, have a way to output to say, a digiflight 200 autopilot? I have maybe 1 wk, before I need to make a decision on a unit. Please advise. I'm gonna stay away from the ipad idea.

Yes for the iFly, I presently use it to drive a Trio Pro Pilot.