Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I mentioned in another thread (or two) that I was seeing about 8 knots more True Airspeed than I usually do on my recent trip to Minneapolis, given the same power settings that I usually use. I knew it wasn't right, but it really didn't bother me on th trip - the airplane flies fine, regardless of the TAS shown on the gauges! I did a little troubleshooting today, and tracked down the culprit - only took three hops to have it figured out and fixed. Dang, forced to go flying to fix it....

Call it a "Successful Test" of the alternate static air source! :rolleyes:

The night before I left for the North, I decided to install a new Aux battery for my EFIS. The old one had seen a couple of deep discharge cycles during pre-flight testing, and was getting tired. I located this ahead of my EFIS MDU's, and right on top of the AHRS, so getting to it is a matter of four screws and two minutes. However, to make the job easy, I disconnected the pitot and static lines into the AHRS for access.

Of course, when I noticed the higher that normal airspeed, my mind went first to those two disconnects - did I get them on tight? They were the first thing I checked, and they looked fine. So I traced both lines to the other instruments, and voil?! I found an open end that had pulled out of it's ferrule at a "T" on the backup ASI. This line had gotten caught in a bind by a cable, and must have been a poor connection in the first place. It took nothing at all to make a new section of line, test it for a solid connection, and do a quick leak-down test on the whole system. Problem solved!

The net affect was that the static system was open to the cabin. (Don't worry guys - as soon as I noticed the problem, I knew I wasn't filing IFR for the trip - that's why I was waiting for good weather!) The affect on the airspeed was identical on the EFIS and backup ASI - they read about 8 knots higher than normal, and the stall came about 10 knots high as well (that's how I confirmed I really had a problem - did a little stall work to see what it was indicating). The affect on the altitude was an error of about 200 feet - the GRT EFIS shows the delta between GPS and pressure-generated altitude when you are dialing in an altimeter setting, and I noticed on the trip home that every time I adjusted the baro, I was seeing about a "+200" indication between GPS altitude and barometric. I didn't, however, pay enough attention to see if that means I was indicating high or low, and I really wish I knew that!

So that's the story. All fixed. Don't be surprised if you use an alternate static source to see higher than normal airspeeds!

Paul

pitot and static lines can do 'neat' things to the efis ...

Our dynon D10 would have a really bad airspeed lag when the flaps when down. Found a pitched pitot line ... when above 90 kts you didn't notice the lag ... but once below 90 kts big pitch movements were needed to slow down or speed up.

Once we replaced the line ... worked like a dream!

Paul,
Are you aware that your pitot/static cert. is invalid any time the pitot or static system is opened up? If either system is opened for any reason, the system need to be certified again.

Mel said:
Paul,
Are you aware that your pitot/static cert. is invalid any time the pitot or static system is opened up? If either system is opened for any reason, the system need to be certified again.

Certainly Mel - we have a great guy here on our field.

Indicates high

Paul, your altimeter would indicate high. Consider the total pressure as accurate in this case. If your static pressure is low (such as vented to the cockpit), the indicated airspeed is going to be high.

Pt = Ps + q Ps indicated is low, thus q indicated is high

At SL and 50 knots, a 10 Knot high indication is consistent with a 50 feet high indication. At SL and 120 knots, an 8 knot high indication is consistent with a 90 feet high indication. (as you wisely chose not to fly IFR, not good to be 90 feet lower that you think on an instrument approach). At 10,000 feet and 180 KTAS, 8 knots high is consistent with a 150 feet high indication.

For our cruise speeds and altitudes, if you have a static source problem, a rule of thumb, 10 knots high indication is about 100 feet high indication. Neither is good. You would be lower in altitude and slower in speed speed than indicated.

Thanks for the number crunching John - the results coincide very closely in magnitude to what I saw!