jkinger

I'm working on the tanks of my RV-7A, and I'm at the point I have to decide on whether to install flop tube or standard type fuel pick-up. I haven't order yet, but I’m planning on float type fuel sender. I don't know what type engine I'm going to install yet. I would like to do some basic aerobatics. What type of aerobatics would I be limited to with a standard type fuel pick-up and what would be out of the question?

Jim

Jim, if you don't install a flop tube you are limited to positive stuff only. If you don't have inverted oil pickup, you are also limited to positive stuff only.

Me? I installed a flop tube in the left tank. I don' t plan on inverted oil pick up now, but that is easier to put in later than a flop tube. I figured that if I WANT to fly upside down (at length) later, I can do inverted oil then. In the meanwhile, I can learn how to stay positive without the worry of my engine cutting out.

That's my strategy anyways!

Put in one!

;) CJ

I installed a flop tube in the left side, and were I to do it over, I wouldn't bother. I'm not much for negative-G stuff, and I don't have inverted oil anyway. Basic loops, rolls and the like are all positive G manuvers and don't require the flop tube. Additionally, the flop tube makes plumbing that tank a little more difficult, and requires you to move the float sender to a different bay in the tank, which gives less accurate readings.

I wouldn't bother.

Jeff Point
RV-6
Milwaukee