N941WR

Legacy Member
IF the FAA imposes user fees for such things as weather briefings, filing VFR flight plans, and using flight following, would you

A) File flight plan after receiving the briefing

and/or

B) Ask for Flight Following during your flight

Knowing using either service is going to cost you?

flight following

If there were user fees for filing a flight plan or flight following; I would pay "very reluctantly" for flight following, but probably would not file a flight plan. Both need to be kept free as well as weather briefings.

Depends...

Great question Bill,

I suppose it would depend on several factors:
1. How much are the fees?
2. What sanctions or penalties would be imposed for not filing?
3. How would they collect from users? Mail bills?
4. What sanctions or penalties would be imposed for not paying?

One has to wonder how much the bureocracy, that would have to be established, will cost to manage the charging and collections of these fees.

Bret

Every time I go to Canada a bill comes in the mail for that quarter usually about $14. The cheapskate I am, I would have a hard time filing an IFR flight plan on a nice day or talking to ATC when a bill would result. I suspect many others would stop asking for advisories also.

User Fees

Just FYI - the Canadian system is a quarterly flat rate based on aircraft weight. You can fly your C-150 or RV-n for 3 months for the $14.00.

That said, I prefer the U.S. system. The equity of the situation is that if we have to pay, then the boaters should also have to pay for all their services.

The problem today is that we are REQUIRED to get all available information. If you don't (or in some situations cannot) get DUAT/DUATS then the only legal briefing is by telephoning FSS. I always prefer flight following, but the advantage of the VFR flight plan is obvious over long distances in remote areas.

either option is bad ...

no brief ... how much will it cost if you bust a TFR?
no flight following ... how much is your life worth in a MVFR day?

:confused:

I guess i would use flight following and ask them for a brief.

Lemme make my answer simple...

NO!

Let's face it, my name isn't Kennedy. They wouldn't come looking for me anyways!

In answer to the questions:

A) I don't usually file a flight plan

B) If I am equipped with ADS-B (or whatever the future brings in the way of fish finding equipment) I won't really need traffic avoidance courtesy of some ground controller.

We don't need no stinkin' FEES!

:cool: CJ

Fee-based ATC services as the FAA tries to cut controllers pay by 25%! The government is f***n stupid, it's nice how Marion is trying to play hardball with NATCA about A/B pay scales while she gives herself a nice raise! Screw the politicians!

How much

Both services are awfully handy. It would depend on how much and how payment was made. I would probably still use flight following from time to time in conjested areas (like when I go thru Chicago).

Maybe...

But only if the taxes we're already paying for these services every time we buy fuel are reduced or abolished.

Just another politician

I've never figured out how to replace a politician with anything but another politician.

Inevidable

First I am dead set against it and feel the federal government should support, over see and fund the aviation infrastructure. With that said I think we need to wake up and smell the coffee because things are a change-in.

Well weather is available for free on the web, I assume this is for a call to flight service. Filling a flight plan or using ATC service, yea I can see that coming. Also landing fees, large fees to get a pilot certificate, and yes, you know it's coming, certify your RV. The current cost is peanuts. How-d ya like to pay $2,000 to get your paper work FAA approved (in 6-9 weeks)?

There is no cheaper place to fly than the USA. We enjoy the greatest freedoms in the world, but......

When I first got my private pilots licence a few decades ago, I was taken by the fact all the services are available without charge (and should be of course): VORs, ATC, towers, runways, weather, instrument approaches and flight service to name a few. I thought how cool, it's FREE to fly in the airspace and use facilities. I thought this is paid for by taxes (correct me if I am wrong) and only a relatively small GA population uses it. I realized that commercial aviation, military and special GA (business aviation) are bigger users, so I felt guilty about getting riding on the coat-tails for a "free ride", for about 2 seconds and got over it. :D However, what we give back into the economy and contribution to technology is price less. Remember Burt Rutan. He is a GA guy and went to around the world and space recently, and could do it tomorrow if he wanted to. Can the US Gov put someone in space tomorrow, sadly no. Also NASA is going away and will be privatized or dismantled. We just can't afford it anymore. I wounder why (rhetorical question and no answer implied or needed, is just food for thought.)

BUT

I predicted back than as a new pilot that someday this "free-ride" would change. I think these days are coming, and I hate it when I am right. :eek: It is inevitable. ope I am wrong. The general population and Politicians have distorted (and often negative) views of aviation and about what we do. Unfortunately we are a small group and will get trounced. America has a proud history of aviation innovation and accomplishments, which where largely made possible by the system we enjoy to day.

The talk of privatizing ATC and flight service is going to come to pass sooner than later. They did it in Europe, (oh no, not like Europe - sorry Mickey :D ). It's a damn shame, but on the other hand the Gov just gave 3 airports, shut down in the D.C. area since 9/11, 5 million for looses, and they finally allowed non-based plans to land at these airports. (With some kind convoluted and overly complicated procedure. Hummm sounds like someone's from the Gov made it.)

George

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
The talk of privatizing ATC and flight service is going to come to pass sooner than later.
George

Maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't they already turn FSS over to someone (Raytheon or Boeing, I thought).

jcoloccia said:
Maybe I'm wrong here, but didn't they already turn FSS over to someone (Raytheon or Boeing, I thought).

I believe Lockheed Martin got the contract. On the plus side, it will be quite a while before Center/Tracon's get contracted out. Currently any tower that is a #5 or lower on the FAA's traffic numbering system is in danger of being contracted out. Most Class D airports are in this category, but some, like VNY are much much higher.

Next up will be ALL class D airports. But this will take a while to happen, it most likely will happen, and will progress until someone dies from the incompetence or lack of training at a contract facility (most likely, when they are running airports like VNY). Once that happens a couple times, the whole situation will be reversed again, and the FAA will want everything in house once more. I just can't beleive how much money we're spending on foreign aid, when we can't even fund our own programs like NASA and FSS.

Privatization

osxuser said:
I just can't beleive how much money we're spending on foreign aid, when we can't even fund our own programs like NASA and FSS.
We *can* afford this stuff, and we should be spending money on it. Privatization has nothing to do with saving money.

The US has a very efficient, and cost effective ATC system, which is the envy of the world. Yes, in absolute dollars it sounds like a lot of money, but that number will not go down with privatization, no matter what anyone says. What will happen is that controller salaries will go from 120k per year to 30-40k, and the rest will go to the many "Big Corporation's" top executives.

I sometimes feel that I'm in a Orwell novel when I hear about our government officials talking about "problems" we have with our ATC system. Sure, it can get better, and we do need to hire more controllers to handle those that are retiring. But it is really working very well, handling magnitudes more traffic than anyone else, doing it safer than anyone else, is vastly more open than any other ATC system in the world, and is financed by exactly the people that benefit the most from it.

Anyone that says we need to make dramatic changes in the system has an agenda, and that agenda is not about serving the interests of the American people.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Open the pod bay doors please, HAL

rv8ch said:
We *can* afford this stuff, and we should be spending money on it. Privatization has nothing to do with saving money.

What will happen is that controller salaries will go from 120k per year to 30-40k, and the rest will go to the many "Big Corporation's" top executives.

I sometimes feel that I'm in a Orwell novel when I hear about our government officials talking about "problems" we have with our ATC system.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Mickey you da MAN, well said, I know I am not adding anything, but you are so right. The Orwell comment reminded me that they want to do away with controllers all together. They want to use FREE FLIGHT (or fright). Where the computers on the ground, in the planes and satellites all talk to each other and issue traffic commands. No kidding this is being considered, first over the Atlantic.

Remember HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey:

Web site has clips of these and more:
http://www.palantir.net/2001/sounds.html

better.wav --"I feel much better now, I really do."
cantdo.wav --"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
daisy.wav --"Daisy, Daisy..."
dave.wav --"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"
decision.wav --"Are you sure you are making the right decision?"
difficult.wav --"You're going to find that rather difficult."

George

Newspeak

george said:
The Orwell comment reminded me that they want to do away with controllers all together.
Having worked professionally with computers since 1984 (strange coincidence!) I prefer to have humans doing this job. However, when I mentioned Orwell, I was really thinking of newspeak.

gmcjetpilot said:
Remember Burt Rutan. He is a GA guy and went to around the world and space recently, and could do it tomorrow if he wanted to. Can the US Gov put someone in space tomorrow, sadly no. Also NASA is going away and will be privatized or dismantled. We just can't afford it anymore. George

I can't help but make just a weeee bit of a comment here George, because a lot of very well educated folks have some misconceptions. A survey of college-educated Americans was done a couple of years ago, and the question was "how big is NASA's annual budget?" Most folks pegged it at about 100 - 150 Billion per year. The truth? We get about 13 Billion - way less than one percent of the Federal budget! And these were folks who read the paper. There is no "We can't afford space" - it is simply a question of political priorities. (I like to remind folks that in the entire history of the space program, we have never spent one single dime in space. It has all been spent right here on earth, devloping technology, providing hogh-tech jobs, and raining our standard of living!)

And I can't help but make sure people put Burt Rutan's space accomplishments into perspective. I am amazed at what he accomplished with Spaceship One - absultely outstanding, and I support the private development of space operations completely. That said, the difference between a sub-Orbital lob and the simplest orbital flight is far greater (in difficulty, cost, and risk) than the difference between a J-3 Cub and an SR-71. I personally lose respect for somone that bad-mouths those that can and have done things which they are still just dreaming about. Burt can not go to space tomorrow - even sub-Orbital - becasue he just put his only completed airframe in the Smithsonian.

I would ask you to remember that we have CHOSEN not to fly Space Shuttles for awhile - until we can satisfy ourselves that we have examined and fixed some recently-discovered risks. A lot of people go to Vegas with much poorer odds of winning than we would have if we flew tomorrow - but we are not on a war-time footing in space, and therefore, we do not take risks just to meet arbitrary schedules. The real question is not what we know how to do, and what we can do technically - the thing you have to watch out for is arbitrary political decisions.

Which, of course, brings us full-circle back to the FAA....which everyone is doing a great job of debating....

Personally, I file only when I need to be IFR, and I get most of my weather and flight information from sources other than the FAA. It will be very hard to shut down those sources of information....

Paul

Last edited:
NASA rules

Ironflight said:
I can't help but make just a weeee bit of a comment here George, because a lot of very well educated folks have some misconceptions. A survey of college-educated Americans was done a couple of years ago, and the question was "how big is NASA's annual budget?" Most folks pegged it at about 100 - 150 Billion per year. The truth? We get about 13 Billion - way less than one percent of the Federal budget! Paul
Paul thanks so much for your insight. I think every penny spent in space is well worth it. I read the NASA server all the time and have gotten tremendous benefit from the data supported by NASA. My comparison of Burt to NASA was in the context of NASA being crippled by miss guided budget targets, and my point was the real innovation, if there is any to be had, in the future will (or must) likely come from the private sector, unless NASA continues to have government support.

I hope you where not offended. I built my first plastic models of the Apollo and Lunar module in 1969, when I was just a little kid. I grew up (sort-a) and have degrees in mechanical engineering and worked as an engineer in commercial, military aircraft and space/defense. I hung up the engineering shoes about 15 years ago and now I'm lucky to fly for a jets for living.

On the down side NASA has suffered for one reason or another failures in management. I can say that because I study why accidents happen. In retrospect some of the "group think" contributed to the tragic disasters in the past. Flying is hazardous, period, and flying to space will never be 100% safe. Unfortunately public perception has been affected. Than you have folks like Story Musgrave making very critical comments, not helping, but I can't totally disagree with him in many respects. Again NASA should be supported and we should continue to go to space, even if it is The Piper Cub of space ships.

George

PS I knew Burt could not literally go to space tomorrow because the only completed airframe was in the Smithsonian. However my point is if he had planned to continue additional flights he could have, while NASA is grounded. As far as lobes into space, I do understand sub-orbital "Lob" is not putting a group of people into space with a large payload. I agree what Burt and his small group did was show we can do things better, smarter and yes less expensively. NASA was young in the 60's and now in the 21st century needs to do things better. Take the best of NASA's legacy and write a new chapter in it's history. If NASA develops a quantum leap design in technology, efficiency and safety for the next man space vehicles we (the People of the USA) will support it. The Shuttle has served us well but it never realized its promised performance, but that does not take away from it's icon status in history. I went to engineering school in New Orleans very close to where they built the shuttle external tank. A few of my professors where consultants on that and other shuttle technology. It was quite interesting when professors took their professional experience and showed how engineering was applied to real space hardware design and analysis. I am the choir and know the value of NASA and space exploration. We are spending billions every month on something I wish we where not. Nuf said.

Last edited:
Awesome

I only file a flight plan in the US now when I have to go IFR - I would continue to do that if there were a charge or I would not fly. I only file VFR in border crossing situations and that would not change.

I call FSS for weather and TFRs now before every cross country flight but I would not do that if there were a charge.

Now for the uncalled for side track NASA slam:

This is strictly my opinion. I got out of the USAF at the end of 1957 and in March of 1958 I went to work for McDonnell Aircraft on the F-101 forward fuselage segment of the production line in Building 89 in downtown St. Louis as a radio and electrical inspector. I worked my way up to an RE&E inspector in final assembly at Lambert Field inside of a year and in April of 1959 I was assigned as one of the three original RE&E (electronic) inspectors assigned to the first US maned space flight project called Mercury. A that time our Navy Inspectors were transferred NASA which had just been created from NACA. I worked on Gemini, Sky Lab, five Shuttle payload projects, and several projects launched with expendable launch vehicles plus many non-space projects (F-4, F-15, F-18, AV-8B, DC-9, DC-10, GAM-72, Harpoon, Dragon, etc.). I went to school at night while working and earned three degrees over a period of 15 years, ending with my MSCS in 1980. I worked my way through the ranks to the Project Office on many projects at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. I retired in September of 2004 after more than 50 years in aerospace and I think I have earned an opinion. There are brillant young people coming into the space exploration and they will not be denied no matter what entrenched "take no risk" management obstruction stands in their way. They are smart enough and competent enough to get the job done. They are in NASA and especially in JPL because they must be at the leading edge of space exploration to achieve what they want to, no, are driven to achieve. Burt Rutan's efforts are simply too antiquated and basic to achieve the things that are important to the expansion of human knowledge.

Bob Axsom

What? who said that?

Bob Axsom said:
Now for the uncalled for side track NASA slam:

There are brilliant young people coming into the space exploration and they will not be denied no matter what entrenched "take no risk" management obstruction stands in their way. They are smart enough and competent enough to get the job done. They are in NASA and especially in JPL because they must be at the leading edge of space exploration to achieve what they want to, no, are driven to achieve. Burt Rutan's efforts are simply too antiquated and basic to achieve the things that are important to the expansion of human knowledge. Bob Axsom
WhooooAaaa, What the whisky tango foxtrot. I think I have failed to communicate or touched on a sore subject with a few. Who slammed NASA, not me. Bob, are you making a back handed remark about me? Read it again. As far as Burt Rutan you all missed the point. Relax.

If you think or are saying any mention of NASA making mistakes and its affect on public opinion is a "slam", than I would respectfully say that it's fair criticism and not a slam. Bob, with your back ground you have the ability to think critically with out emotion based on facts. NASA is great and should be supported by our government IMHO. What don't you understand about that?

Now read what I wrote again. Any characterization that my comments showed anything but awe, marvel, respect and pride in what the US, Space industry, NASA and NASA space crews have achieved is false, dear Sir. You will not find many people who support US space exploration and specifically NASA more than I. We need a new space and launch vehicles (fact); we need to spend money and start now (fact); that is not a slam, and I know the people who can do it are at NASA. However new thinking and innovation (Like spaceship 1) will be needed. I never said Spaceship One was a replacement for the Shuttle or NASA. What are you talking about? :confused:

It is like a red cape in front of a Bull, even mentioning Burt Rutan. He is brilliant, sorry, just my opinion. That in no way reduces NASA or should it threaten them. THE POINT: Innovation LIKE what Burt Rutan did with SpaceShip1 is needed, that's all. My point is the government and public is not AS willing to support NASA and space exploration. Like it or not, it is true, BUT IT IS NOT AN OPINION I SHARE. Geeeeeeezzz.

I don't want privatized space companies, BUT get this BOB, NASA is calling for the private sector to pick up space exploration (funding). I doubt that will happen unless there is a business plan to make money. May be it's wishful thinking of those in the government speaking for NASA? I don't know. If my NASA job was on the line I would be upset for sure. I think all americans should be upset with that more than making pilots pay to file, which sill P's me off.

Last you called Spaceship 1 "antiquated". That is well beyond my understanding. Yes it was simplistic, cheap and not practical for anything other than winning the X-prize, but it was a milestone. May be you can explain what you mean Bob, off line. Since Robert Goddard, Hermann Oberth, Stuhlinger and Von Braun there has not been many NEW things in the physics of escaping earth's gravity. Rocket engines Pratt makes, have been around with little change for a long time.

If you want to get into a debate about the talents of young Engineer's, no doubt we have the best and brightest in the world. However your comment that they will succeed despite management, is not a rousing endorsement. Unfortunately the USA is loosing the technical edge in the world and that's a fact and whole other debate my friend. Government supports private companies contracting out (out sourcing) to other countries for technical people, fact, and we have to deal with that. Although Von Braun was "contracted out". Some companys claim they have to go outside because there are not enough qualified engineers? Hmmmm may be qualified engineers willing to work for minimum wage.

Bob, my dear Sir it's not the same as it was back in the day. The mighty dollar rules and space will always be dangerous and expensive. The world has changed and companies would rather hire an engineer half away around the world for 1/3rd the cost, and the government supports this exporting. I consulted to Pratt & Whitney for 4 months. The out sourcing, contracting was so extreme I could not believe it. The project had me working with another company, Pratt hired (contracted), and that company contractred out some analysis once again. :eek: It would have been easier for me to just do it myself. I had to teach them HOW to do it. If a young person asked me if they should get into aerospace engineering I would have a hard time telling them "go for it". I got out of engineering, but still get calls from job shops to do engineering consulting.

No offense I LOVE NASA and anything to do with flight.

Have a nice Thanksgiving Bob. George

Last edited:
Just one thing about Rutan's accomplishment. It seems like just a teeny tiny baby step. I mean, the stupid thing didn't even go anywhere....it went up, and came down. We've been doing that reliably for 40 years.

Think about this, though. It took WHOLE lot of money, and a bunch of blown up rockets before we got there the first time. The point of the X-Prize was to encourage new approaches to old problems. Rutan's success is not what he achieved (childs play by today's standards). It' HOW he achieved it.

George,

I am not easily offended. I simply like to make sure that the facts are properly presented in any argument. When well-educated, thoughtful people have good facts, information, and data, I trust that they will make good decisions.

Iwould only point out that since you have been out of the engineering business for 15 years, the Agency is quite a bit different than you might imagine it to be. There are many fine people, old and young, doing the right thing every single day. It frustrates all of them when their efforts are thwarted by political decision-making. It also frustrates us all when folks who should know better provide ammunition to our critics - because then the "uneducated" critics can cite the "educated" opinions of aerospace engineers , twisting the words into condemnations of the program.

I never said that Burt Rutan isn't brilliant - in fact if you read my words (and maybe I use to few of them), I said that I applaud what he has achieved for what it is - and I have told many people that I sincerely hope that he can come up with something as original as the feather recovery system to apply to orbital re-entry. The feather won't work, and he has publicly said that - but if he thought that up, I am hopeful that he can think up somehting else.

I know Story Musgrave well- he was my Capcom for several years, and sat beside me during many difficult moments and decisions. Maybe you know him personally as well- I don't know. But if you do not, then I would ask you to remember that what you think he says has been filtered through the press. In fact, unless you are working the program as an insider, I can tell you that EVERYTHING that you hear about it has been filtered through the press. The majority of the press does a fine job, intepretting difficult topics so that the public can understand them. But sometimes, things get oversimplified. If your source of information is the general press - or even the aerospace press, then you may not have all the information - you indeed, have filtered facts.

For instance - the Shuttle fleet is not "grounded" - NASA has never said that! The Shuttle is a test vehicle that has to prove it's readiness to fly each and every time. An operational aircraft is assumed safe for flight until someone proves otherwise (or questions if it is otherwise). A Test Vehicle is assumed unfit for flight until you prove that it ready to go. Yet you stated in your post that "NASA was grounded" was grounded. In fact, we simply haven't cleared the Shuttle for it's next flight, and in fact, we have an American in orbit right now on the ISS - and I spent part of my Thanksgiving supporting him. This may seem trivial to you, but with your background, many readers will take what you say as fact, and repeat it.

I am not actually arguing with you George, and I beleive that you have the best interests and goals of the program at heart. I'm simply asking you to realize that there are many, many details and facts that even I can't keep up with, and I'm immersed in it all more than full-time. I am always careful to remember that people will quote me, as they will anyone who has credentials on a topic.

Every person is entitled to their opinion - and everyone who is trying to form an opinion is entitled to hear the facts.

My appologies for the hijacking of this thread.

Paul

Go of Launch

Ironflight said:
George, my apologies for the hijacking of this thread. Paul
Thanks Paul for your insight again, it is fascinating. No apology needed about hi-jacking the thread. I think its relevant to the "pay to file" thing because it's all related to the politics and atmosphere that is going on in government services. By the way NASA is more than space of course. They are very involved in aviation, including GA. Also point well taken, that opinion / words spoke for positive constructive dialog can be used for the opposite of what you intended by others. Happy Thanksgiving George

Last edited:
rv8ch said:
Wow. I've never met Story Musgrave, but I have read about his many accomplishments. A truly amazing list of accomplishments.
Yes this guy lives eats and breaths space science, so anything he says carries a lot of weight. I don't personally know him like Paul does, but have seen him speak a few times. He embodies the caliber of folks that commit their lives towards space exploration. G