Righty

Silly question for y'all. The time has come to dimple my fuel tank skins. The instructions seem to imply that the dimpling should be done first, then scuffing. Wouldn't the scuffing be easier if it were done before the dimpling?

Thanks for any advice!

Follow the plans

Not worth the hassle in my book. Just follow the plans incl dimpling. Then do the scuff, primer, routine.

If you do this stuff out of order, you risk missing dimples or dimpling holes you should have skipped, etc.

Thanks Scott. Seemed to make sense to me.

I disagree.

Scuff before dimpling. Otherwise the sandpaper or scotchbrite you use to scuff is going to be torn apart and you get little debris pieces everywhere. You'll also miss fewer parts.

If need be another light scuff when you're done.

I use 50 grit emery cloth followed by scotchbrite.

Welder's Wire Brush

I used a small welder's wire brush to scuff the tank skin seams per the suggestion in the RV6 Build Manual. It left a good surface for the sealant to bond to and rode over and around the dimples easily.

Just my 2 cents

Jim Sharkey

PS - only used for pro seal joints btw - other wise I used Scotch Brite over the top of the dimples everywhere else.

Last edited:
Scuff before

Another vote for scuffing before dimpling. In fact, when I scuff lightly prior to primer on other parts I employ this technique, but only to save my scotchbright pads; the dimples tear them up.

I used a small welder's wire brush to scuff the tank skin seams per the suggestion in the RV6 Build Manual. It left a good surface for the sealant to bond to and rode over and around the dimples easily.

Just my 2 cents

Jim Sharkey

PS - only used for pro seal joints btw - other wise I used Scotch Brite over the top of the dimples everywhere else.

They really recommended using a steel wire brush on an aluminum joint? I like an aluminum oxide based abrasive best.

They really recommended using a steel wire brush on an aluminum joint? I like an aluminum oxide based abrasive best.

It's stainless steel, and it worked like a charm (RV-6 builder's manual circa 1998).

wing-81.jpg

Last edited: