Gents,
I live in a rather hot climate (Israel) and this is where my 7A will fly as soon as it's done. The engine is a new Lycoming YO-360-A1A. I suppose the a/c will fly once/twice a week, each week. The qustion of installing a priming system divides the crowd oppinion 50-50. So what do you say?
TNX and
BSTRGRDS
Mike
4X-ORV (res)
wanna fly next summer.

You talking fuel system or metal coating? In Israel, I'd say no on both.

Last edited:
TNX.
Since I mentioned engine type and frequency of flying - hence frequency of starting it - I thought it is obvious I'm talking priming the engine for starting it. BTW, the airframe is primered with strontium chromate, which is still legal in this country.
TNX again
Mike

TNX.
Since I mentioned engine type and frequency of flying - hence frequency of starting it - I thought it is obvious I'm talking priming the engine for starting it. BTW, the airframe is primered with strontium chromate, which is still legal in this country.
TNX again
Mike

Sorry, got tunnel visioned on the subject line. Previous reply deleted.

A dissenting opinion perhaps...

I've found that priming the engine helps ensure it will start more easily and will more readily achieve a steady-state near-idle RPM setting. For starts where priming isn't done I've seen some significant RPM excursions as the throttle is jockeyed to keep the engine running through the use of fuel being squirted in by the carb's accelerator pump.

Better to find the magic number of squirts of primer to use for your "average" day, and then adjust plus or minus one squirt or two for temperature variations. In the cold weather I always ensure the primer is "loaded" and ready to inject additional fuel to help the cold engine get through the initial stumbles and up to normal idle speed.

A witches what?

I don't know how cold your winters get there, but even if you don't get to start the engine for a longer time, say 4-8 weeks. It will help on the start up to give it a few shots. It makes the A/C worth more at resale and you may wish to go some place cold on your travels. In other words sure why not.
Hope this helps. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

An electric solenoid will keep the fuel lines ahead of the firewall, and priming four cylinders doesn't add very much weight at all. I like mine (but I do live up here in the frozen north).

Warm climate? We have no primers on our airplanes - a couple of throttle pumps WHILE CRANKING is all it takes for a quick start. Less equipment, fewer things to go wrong or leak. If we lived in the frozen north, I might have a different answer.

You will rapidly get to know the exact technique your engine requires to start with no trouble.
I don't think you will need an engine primer.