jbDC9

Well Known Member
So I'm up to almost 290 hrs (420 landings) and just about due for my first pair of new tires... from the good things I've read here about Desser's retreads, I've already decided to order a set.

My question though, is regarding inner tubes; the ones currently installed are the Leak Guards that came from Vans with the finish kit. They work fine, no leaks and I can go several months before adding a few lbs of air. Is it a bad idea to re-use inner tubes in new tires, or should I go ahead and replace them with either new Leak Guards or Michelin Air Stops?

What'cha think?

Desser Retreads

John...

I don't know the answer to your inner tube question but I do have a caution on the Desser Retread tires. I have a set on my Cessna 170 (which is for sale BTW) and they are great BUT they are considerably larger than the standard 600X6 because of the heavier tread. The tires are wearing very well but my wheel fairings will not fit over them so I am flying without wheel pants. Anyway, I don't fly the truck...huh Cessna...any more because my RV6 flys sooo much better. You may want to check the physical measruement of those retread 500X5's since Van's fairings fit tight and you may have the same problem I had with the 600x6 on the Cessna. I have never seen the 500x5 Desser retreads however.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
225 hours
Northfield, MN

I have been using the Wilkerson retreads for the past 2.5 years and 411 hours. They are still going strong. I have heard others say that they are heaver and larger. I can not say if that is true. I do not remember doing any triming on my Two Piece Pressure Recover wheel pants that Van sells. If there was, only the opening was filed or sanded for slightly larger sidewall clearance where it EXITS the wheel pant. There was NO rubbing on the inside of the 2 piece Pressure Recovery wheel pants.

The tube and tire manufacturers recommend to change the tube everytime you change the tire. I changed the FACTORY tube with a high quality tube when the OEM tire wore out. I changed to the AirStop tubes 1,600 flying hours later. Yes the manufacturer recommends new tubes every time that you change the tire but I so far have not been following that recommendation. If they look like they will not last till the tire is changed next time, I replace them. Remember that this advice may only be worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:
Replace Tubes

I would recommend replacing the tubes when you replace the tires. I tried used tubes with new tires and the tubes failed before the second set of tires, both of them. The tubes were not leak guards but I will not replace tires without new tubes from now on.

Dick may have the "Monster" tires with heavier/thicker tread. I don't think those are even available for your RV. I replace a set in December with Dresser standard retreads and didn't have to open up the openings on the pants. Didn't replace the tubes, either. They should last through two sets of tires IMHO. Check them over and make sure they aren't showing any chafing or folds. Use plenty of tube powder when you put 'em on!

Bob Kelly

I am very happy with the Desser retreads on my 6A. They are monster when it comes to wear, I will guess that I will easily get twice the landings that I got with previous tires.

I did have to carve out the wheel fairings though, as they are more "square" than the other tires.

I'm very happy with the Dessers on the -8 - been using them for 25 years or so on my airplanes. I'd spring for the Michelin tubes Jon - once I did that, I have re-used them for a couple of sets of tires.

Paul