bobmarkert

Well Known Member
To nut or not to nut, that is the question. I just received my oversize Michelin 380x150x5 tires and I was mounting them on my wheels (Matco wheels came with the finishing kit). In the reference manual that came with the wheels it says to put the spacer washer and nut on the tube valve stem to hold the valve stem centered in the slot in the wheel. In the picture below you can see how it should fit (hand-held in position for the picture)…. The problem is when the wheel is assembled and the tube inflated I was not able to get the “perfect alignment” and the valve stem always ended up at an angle which made it hard to get the air chuck on the valve. I made a quick phone survey to some experienced RV builders and the unanimous consensus was to leave the nut and washer off (as they have done). I now have two fully assembled wheels and tires without nuts and the valve stem comes out perfectly straight. I am curious how many others have left the nut and washer off?

003sbs.jpg

307e.jpg

305av.jpg

009epv.jpg

Last edited:
Bob. I'm having a similar issue right now. I left off the nuts and washer and the valve stem leans over too much when applying air to the tire. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.