h&jeuropa

Well Known Member
Is there any reason to deflate and disassemble tire tube assemblies during Condition Inspection? I have been doing it for years to assure that the tube can move freely in the tire with lots of talc, but perhaps not disturbing everything would be better since the tube tire positioning wouldn't change. Anyone have experience or opinions?

Thanks

Jim Butcher

Is there any reason to deflate and disassemble tire tube assemblies during Condition Inspection? I have been doing it for years to assure that the tube can move freely in the tire with lots of talc, but perhaps not disturbing everything would be better since the tube tire positioning wouldn't change. Anyone have experience or opinions?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
As Mike Busch says - MIF (Maintenance Induced Failure). As “Oakies” say, “If it ain’t broke …”

YMMV - but probably won’t get much better.

HFS

Thanks

Jim Butcher
No, never heard of doing this. Nope, I would not.

Thanks

Jim Butcher
There is no need to do this. Check your pressure and brake pads. That’s it.

Just be generous with tire talc during tire install and then maintain good tire pressure.

If you are going to reuse that expensive tube, inspect the tube for scuffs and any wear or folds and pinches. Then coat it well with talc (and the inside of the tire) install the tube and inflate to fit the tire. Release the pressure to "O". Grab the stem and see if the tube will spin in the tire. If it does, it should be good to reuse.

You could look at the external portion of the valve stem to see if it is still properly oriented and NOT tweaked or leaning possibly due to the inner tube having shifted within the tire. Otherwise, leave it alone. Talc is very good but it is suggested that one use official "tire talc" instead of "baby powder" -- Works for me.

Last edited:

Thanks

Jim Butcher
I've never heard of it in 55 years of mechanicing or would ever do it. Kinda like changing the air in your tires because it is old.
But my luck varies with age FIXIT