noelf

Well Known Member
I want to paint a strip on my tires opposite the valve stem for easy stem location-to-inflation port on the wheel pants. Do I need to be concerned with the type of paint I use so that it will not react with the tire rubber compound and degrade the tire's life??

What brands have other builders used??

Have you painted both the inboard and outboard sides, or just one side??

Last edited:
I want to paint a strip on my tires opposite the valve stem for easy stem location-to-inflation port on the wheel pants. Do I need to be concerned with the type of paint I use so that it will not react with the tire rubber compound and degrade the tire's life??

What brands have other builders used??

Have you painted both the inboard and outboard sides, or just one side??

Outboard, nail polish.

Hans

I guess location of the stripe depends on where you are pushing/pulling from. Not to rebut the good doctor at all, as there are surely many good methods, but I find I'm usually at the nose to make a little push/pull adjustment, so on my TW airplane I needed the stripe on the inside to see it. I'm guessing that being on a tow bar on an A model may be similar. But if ya got a buddy wing walking, oudside may be mo betta.

Then again, I flopped my tires on the rims for longer wear this summer, and now I have a stripe on each side (one faded, one not).

Will be interested to hear if there are stripe mediums that cause tire rot or corrosion! I used a swab of spray paint on a brush...better not take that as a recommendation till we hear from the vulcanizing experts! :)

Cheers,
Bob

A dab of paper white out has worked for me. On the inside and outside.
Forgot to prime though.:D

no problem in 6 years. . .

Hey Noel
your hangar neighbor here-
I use the little bottle of paint Van sells to match their powder coating to make little X's on the inside of the tires. The bottle has a nifty little brush that makes it easy to apply. I've got plenty if you want to use some.
I only do the insides 'cause I can't see the outsides anyway when I'm rolling the plane with the towbar. The tires wear out a lot quicker than any damage I can detect from the paint.