Flybuddy2

Well Known Member
Solved a main gear shimmy problem a few years back by following a suggestion to switch to a roundish profile tire vs flatter profiles. Had previously run Monsters and Goodyear IIIs and had significant shimmy. Have run 2 sets of Goodyear FS IIs and no shimmy. HOWEVER, I don't get any longevity out of the IIs as our home base is a concrete runway. Are there any other round profile tires that might wear better? Would the FS IIs in 10 ply, instead of 6 provide better wear? Thx

Last edited:
Tires

Tom,

Try Wilerson tires, I put a set of their retreads on my -4 that had a seriious shimmy problem on landing while slowing to just about taxi speed. After the installation I flew a test flight and the shimmy disappeared Immediately and has not returned in over 100 hours. And the tires still look like brand new!

I have the 6 ply 5.00 x 5 tires.

http://www.wilkersonaircrafttires.com

Oly

Last edited:
I had the same shimmy

And last week I installed Wilkerson retreads and as of 5 landings no more shimmy. The tires were $100. shipped and look robust. So far so good.

After fighting the shimmy problem myself, I honestly believe it has more to do with tire balance. I notice that Wilkerson emphasises tire balance. I'll give them a try next time. My current tires have significant weights for balance and that is what solved my problem..