markserbu

In the almost 3 years that I've owned my RV-8A, it's been nearly trouble-free except for brakes and tires! I have had a flat nose wheel twice, and this right main just went from a slow leak to something that won't hold air for more than 15 minutes. I thought this tire was brand new, and it certainly had no wear when it was installed. Didn't realize there was a patch in it! A question I have for the group: This is a Goodyear Flight Custom III, which is 6-ply, rated for 160 mph and seems to be way overkill for this plane. Do folks generally use these on RVs? Seems the Flight Special II is a better choice...4-ply and 120 mph. Not to mention $130 cheaper and 2 pounds lighter. The hole in the tube is odd...it matches up with the sidewall and unless someone stuck it with an ice pick (which didn't happen), I don't know how it got there. Doesn't really look like a clean puncture...anyone have any theories? Got a new tube coming so it doesn't really matter at this point. BTW, I'm making a proper jack but didn't have time to get it finished before I needed to jack up the plane. I used a Harbor Freight jack and machined an interface piece out of .50 BMG gun barrel scrap. When finished it'll have a tripod structure to keep it from falling over.
IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

The tube picture appears to have a cluster of small crater like marks, could they have been made by the round nodules pictured by the tire patch?
Also I have never seen a patch inside a tire before, tube patch yes, tire patch no.
Another thought, was there any talc powder on the tube when it came out? It's normal to use some on installation.

I dunno about the holed tube, that's a mystery, but what looks like a patch on the tire... methinks that's a balance weight from the factory? But, I could be wrong. As for the brand and model, I'd skip the pricey Goodyears altogther and go with retreads, I've had good luck with Wilkerson Retreads over the last 10+ years; no issues, no flats, affordable and they last forever.

https://www.wilkersonaircrafttires.com/

BTW, I see an engine lying in the corner back there... can I have it?? I need a spare engine, just in case... :p

Yeah, that "patch" in the tire is a balance weight. My Michelin Pilots had one too, with the weight called out, pic below. When I replaced those tires, I had a heck of a time peeling the tube from the balance weight. The inner tube rubber bonded itself to the weight.

As for the hole in the tube, just patch it. But make sure you find what caused the puncture in the first place.

20210927_103154.jpg

Side holes like yours often come from low tire pressure. Tube will move inside tire. Also unless cleaned before pictures, not enough talc used during install. Plenty of reading here using search about pressure and proper installation and use of tal.

Side holes like yours often come from low tire pressure. Tube will move inside tire. Also unless cleaned before pictures, not enough talc used during install. Plenty of reading here using search about pressure and proper installation and use of tal.

^^^^
This

Mark, to address your comment about brakes, I find most -a pilots abuse their brakes without realizing it.. make a conscious effort to taxi without using brakes.. you’ll be surprised that with proper planing and speed control, you can taxi almost without ever using brakes.. slow down approaching a turn, then apply full rudder and a little power (prop blast) Brakes should last you several years..

Great Idea

I agree, I run 43-45lbs and my flat tire count went to 0. Also, so many great things going on in this picture. New engine in the back ground and the great idea lifting the plane, going to run out and buy the jack

tube in pic has a mfg defect. Stone or other debris got stuck to mold during creation. Rubber at bottom of crater is very thin and broke shortly after filling with air. Difficult finding competent workers in today's economy.

I like Fiight Custom III

I’m a big fan of the Flight Custom III. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but these are the longest lasting tires I have used and I’m not overly concerned about the weight penalty.

I alway install new Michelin Air Stop tubes when I install new tires. Since the tubes cost so much, I feel it is worth paying for a long lasting tire.

Just looking at your jack set up gives me the willies :eek:
Your next post might be how to repair the hole in your wing.

1.) Keep main gear tire pressure at 50lbs.

2.) Use lots and lots of real tire talc (not modern baby powder which is corn starch that absorbs moisture and turns into small gravel abrasive between the tire and tube)

3.) If you use butyl tubes do not use the Leak Guard model as they tend to come apart at the mold lines. Air Stops are the ones to use if you go for butyl. Otherwise go with conventional rubber.

4.) That patch is a balance patch installed at the factory and are more common on high-end tires where they spend a extra effort to deliver a balanced product. Rarely see those in cheap tires like generic or Specialty brand.

1.)...
2.) Use lots and lots of real tire talc (not modern baby powder which is corn starch that absorbs moisture and turns into small gravel abrasive between the tire and tube)

Glad to see this comment. I was about to post this question since I only recently realized that real talc powder is no longer easily available and was wondering about hydroscopic corn starch replacing "baby talc". My real baby talc bottle is about to go empty ;-(

A question I have for the group: This is a Goodyear Flight Custom III, which is 6-ply, rated for 160 mph and seems to be way overkill for this plane. Do folks generally use these on RVs? Seems the Flight Special II is a better choice...4-ply and 120 mph.

I've attached a clip below, from the Goodyear tire data book. Ratings are per tire. The 4-ply Flight Special would be very near limits on an 8A. A 6-ply Flight Custom would not be much better at 31 psi. I'm just sayin'...

BTW, I'm making a proper jack but didn't have time to get it finished before I needed to jack up the plane. I used a Harbor Freight jack and machined an interface piece out of .50 BMG gun barrel scrap. When finished it'll have a tripod structure to keep it from falling over.

Here you go...

BTW, for those who don't know Mark, he is not kidding about .50 BMG barrel scrap.

Attachments

• Goodyear.jpg
    Goodyear.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Jackstand 800w.jpg
    Jackstand 800w.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 154
Talcum powder available in USA

Aircraft supply stores sell bottles of industrial tire talc for a low price.

Or buy Babylove Baby Powder. It is made in Europe where they didn't buy into the Johnson and Johnson settlement that eliminated talc from US cosmetics and health products. Available online at sites whose founders have created phallic shaped rockets for space tourism....

Attachments

• 41S7DfZD6TL._AC_.jpg
    41S7DfZD6TL._AC_.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 17-250.jpg
    17-250.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Michelin Air Stop tubes., unless something better comes along. I made the mistake of using the other main butyl tube offering and had a similar, but much smaller, pore-like failure.

It was only about 1/4 that size.

Thanks for all the great info, folks! Unfortunately I already bought the Leak Guard tube. Guess next time I'll go with Airstops, unless I finally give up and go tubeless. I found talc at a local auto parts store, though they had to order it from another store. A little over $7 for a 1-pound container exactly the same as the 8-ounce parmesian cheese shakers that you buy at the grocery store. A bit odd that it's marked "commercial use only". I think a lot of my braking problems stem from the Rapco pads I have instead of using Cleveland parts. The ones I have with just several months use on them look pretty bad. The cheap pads seem to be much coarser and more brittle than the Clevelands, which came on a new caliper assembly I recently bought. Hopefully I'll be taking off the other wheel to change out the brake disc and caliper tomorrow. Will be interesting to see the condition of those pads, and of course I'll inspect the tire and tube.

IMG_0700.jpg

I've attached a clip below, from the Goodyear tire data book. Ratings are per tire.

Thanks for posting that, Dan.

I've discovered that I ought to be inflating my Flight Custom III's to 50 psi instead of the 30-35 I've always used. Thank you!

- mark

A question I have for the group: This is a Goodyear Flight Custom III, which is 6-ply, rated for 160 mph and seems to be way overkill for this plane. Do folks generally use these on RVs? Seems the Flight Special II is a better choice...4-ply and 120 mph. Not to mention $130 cheaper and 2 pounds lighter.

After nearly 13 years of ownership, on my RV in particular, the best longevity combination has been Michelin Airstop tubes with Goodyear Flight Custom III 6-ply tires.

I replace the tubes every time I replace the tires.

My previous-but-one tire replacement was confounded by COVID supply chain problems, and I couldn't get Goodyears when I needed them, so I gritted my teeth and tried Michelin X-Air.

I won't be doing that again: They lasted about two years before they were worn down to the canvas. The Goodyears I replaced them with a year ago barely show any wear at all, and I'll usually get about four years out of them before I toss them. Maybe longer, after the tire pressure revelation Dan just helped me with above.

- mark

I dunno about the holed tube, that's a mystery, but what looks like a patch on the tire... methinks that's a balance weight from the factory? But, I could be wrong. As for the brand and model, I'd skip the pricey Goodyears altogther and go with retreads, I've had good luck with Wilkerson Retreads over the last 10+ years; no issues, no flats, affordable and they last forever.

https://www.wilkersonaircrafttires.com/

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

Wilkerson retreads! Fantastic service! Fast shipping! Tires last a long time!

Used new Goodyear Flight Custom II before and always had to flip every year to even out wear. During condition inspection this year I could barely detect the uneven wear after a year.