:)
How many landings were your tires good for and which tires were and are you using now?

I made over 1,000 landings on stock Vans tires within a year or so. Rotated them once. Because of poor landing technique they were worn beyond recongition. Replaced with new. Brake pads lasted as tires. Nosewheel still looks like brand new.

Last edited:
May depend a lot on where you are based. At KTCY, the RWY surface is SOOOO bad that tires last about 100 hours... :mad:

Which tires?

Tires with the kit last about 150-200 hours. But you are likely doing more take offs and landings at that time. After you get things sorted out and start flying longer trips the tire life goes up greatly. Do not know number of take off and landings, but think you can expect 200-250 hours after initial set of tires. Quality does count and premium tires, i.e., Michlen and Goodyear will give much longer performance. With some of these tires you never wear them out, just get tired of them and throw them away or send them off for retread. Also same for the tubes. Get the air stop tubes and you will save a lot of time inflating tires. They are very good and well worth the money.
All in all tire expense is one of the lesser cost of maintenance. :D

On my -7A, I got 499 landings out the original Van's tires over 727 hrs. during a 6 1/2 year period. I kept them inflated to 45 psi, rotated them once and made about 10 landings on grass with the rest on good, hard surface, runways. They still had 1/32" - 1/16" of tread left.

I haven't done more than a half dozen touch and goes. 99% of my flying is long distance (2 - 3 hr.) cross countries.

I changed to Desser Monster retreads and am anxious to see how they wear.

I changed out the nose wheel tire 2 1/2 years ago because of a sidewall cut. There was still plenty of tread remaining. I keep it at 35 psi.

Mike

Runway surface

I fly mostly off our turf runway at Dry Creek (TS07) and have about 130 hours on my RV-8. I can still see the mold seperation line on the center tread. The type of runway surface you frequent plays a big part in how they wear.

Vans kit tires - main gear
- rotated about 84 hours / 145 landings (pavement)
- replaced abut 110 hours / 195 landings (pavement)

Replaced with Desser Monster Retreads (no visible wear)
- accumulated 120 hours / 115 landings (pavement)

Vans kit tires - nose gear
- still chugging with no significant wear

Dan

1058.8 hours Air Hawks

Never flipped them, Ran them at 35psi. Only had to add air a handfull of times over the 7yrs 5mos they were on. The tubes both have a crease across from the stem. Can still see the talcum powder. I inflated and deflated 4-5 times with no stem when mounting. Then inflate to 20 psi and bounce tire before fully inflating. Any one else see this crease? Starting new brake pads again replacing at about 500 hrs. could get a little more maybe but close enough for being apart already.

picture003se.jpg

picture001ui.jpg

picture002by.jpg