RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I've read posts in the past asking about different tires and treadlife. I just put new tires on my 8 and thought I'd post my actual numbers.

I put Goodyear Flight Special II tires on in May, 2007. Since that time I've logged 475 hours and 533 landings. I probably could have swapped sides again and had a few more landings but it was Condition Time and I thought I'd go ahead and replace.

I went back with tires from Vans this time and I'll keep close tabs on how they do and report back.

Hope this is of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great data Jerry! I put a pair of Van's tires on the Val a couple of months ago, and am going to try and keep track of how they do. Normally, I use the Desser retreads, but we had this set of tires that came in the -3 kit just sitting here, so I figured that rather than let them die of old age on the shelf, I'd experiment.

Paul

Suggestion

Can we change the title to something like

"Tire life data"

Then people can post their info. Seems like aircraft type, number of landings, tire description and possibly a pic of the tire when removed would provide a reasonable database. Of course I am assuming that most landings are on asphalt/concrete so that info may be relevant as well.

One more data point: were the tires swapped to even thread wear? Personally I have never done that.

Last edited:
tire data

Good Idea Ron.

Maybe Paul or a Super Moderator can change the title bar. I tried to edit but only can only edit text box.

Of my landings, probably less that 5% was on grass..

I'll take a photo of the tires I removed and edit it back in next time I'm at the aerodrome..

How did the change affect the tire to fairing gap?

How did the change affect the tire to fairing gap? The tread design on some of the higher cost tires is more "square" at the tire to pavement interface and require opening the corners of the opening in the fairings. Going back to the "donuts" leaves unnecessary opening that scoop air and increase drag.

I have developed some subfairings for my wheel fairings which bring the fairing edge much lower on the tires - below the point where weight on wheels displaces the tires laterally. I measure the tire to faring gap with weight on the wheels and weight off the wheels and observed an interesting phenomenon. With weight on the wheels the gap is largest for ground operations and when there is no weight on the wheels the tires return to the semetrical shape and minimise the gap. I would expect the distortion of the more expensive stiffer side wall tires to perform differently in the fairing to tire gap area. With a standard fairing and the stiffer tire the gap is probably not as dynamic.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The Goodyear tire did have wider shoulders on the tread the the Aero Classic. The gap between tire and pant at the center of the tread is 3/8 inch and a little bit wider than that on the sidewalls, probably 7/16 inch there.

I don't know about the drag change because I haven't really done a speed check in a long time. I do know that I have gotten some damage to the pants by FOD and it is always to the center of the rear half of the pants at the closest tire/pant gap. Have never had any damage on the sides of the pants where the sidewall flexes.

I don't know if closing the gap between the tread and the pant would keep more debris out and lessen the chance for damage.

Good life out of Condor tires

This is an interesting thread. I installed Condor 6 ply tires when my RV-8 was new in 2006. I now have 714 hours on my plane and 904 landings and still have the original Condor tires. I plan to change them to a new set of Condor tires soon, but these have worn very evenly and well. I haven't even flipped them! I fly out of a paved airstrip and estimate that 95% of my landings have been on pavement. I don't know why these tires have lasted so long, but won't complain.

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU
Battle Ground, WA

TIRE LIFE DATA

Would appreciate feedback from RV-10 owners. I have 229 hours on mine with 337 landings. Maybe 5% is on grass. They are heavily worn on the sides although I have increased the pressure. What pressure are folks using, what brand tires & tubes & where purchased? I have always used Desser.
Thanks,
Doug Preston
KEET

This is Great Stuff

Guys, if it's not too much of a problem, please list the types and service you're getting out of the tubes. The landing surface/tire rotation information you're including is useful as well. Other, useful data point might be tire pressures and brake pad changes. Gotta love these forums. Good work!
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I installed Condor 6 ply tires when my RV-8 was new in 2006. I now have 714 hours on my plane and 904 landings and still have the original Condor tires.

Now that's impressive!

My original tires were stock Air Hawks and only made it to 340 hrs and 498 landings, mostly paved. My current pair are Desser retreads on Condor cases... have 310 hrs and maybe 400 landings on 'em so far, rotated at 235 hrs. They're definitely gonna last longer than the Air Hawks, I'm hoping for 450 hrs out of them... but maybe not. Using the Michelin Airstop tubes as well, only have to add a coupla lbs every few months.

Condor tires/brake pad life

John,

I don't know why these tires lasted so long. I finally replaced them a few days ago at 718 hours. Put another set of Condor tires on. I too use Michelin Airstop tubes. They are great and only need air a couple of times/year. I normally keep 35 lbs of air in the tires.

I replaced brake pads at 222 hours and again at 571 hours. I fly off of a 2000' strip and seem to need to use the brakes more than I might on a longer strip. At 571 hours, I installed an experimental set of brake pads sold by Greg Miller (Portland, OR area). I have 150 hours on them now and they still look like new. They work very well and are supposed to last much longer than standard pads. I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Dan

RV-7A TIRE WEAR

I have a very short tire life on my RV-7A. Only 85-90 landings. I have 508 hours and am on my 5th set of tires. (Before someones says it, my landings are not all squeakers, but neither are they abnormally hard or in a side skid.) The problem I see is the negative camber and excessive toe-in. Since both these are set by the predrilled retaining bolts at the top of the gear strut rod, has anyone found an EASY way to readjust this setting.
Thanks.
Mike