avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hi all-

It's condition inspection time again for my 9A and looks like I may need to replace the mains. I have read older threads on the Desser retreads but don't particularly feel like altering my fairings so...
I'm interested to hear what folks have to say about their choice of replacement tires for the mains.
Please let me know your experience including any change in handling characteristics, shimmy, etc.

As always I appreciate any input.
Thanks

Peter K
9A 275 hrs

My taxiing and flying are so marginal that tires are the least of my problem.

Whatever you get.....balance them.

Use a new tube as well (See Desser info on this)

Last edited:
Hi all-

It's condition inspection time again for my 9A and looks like I may need to replace the mains. I have read older threads on the Desser retreads but don't particularly feel like altering my fairings so...
I'm interested to hear what folks have to say about their choice of replacement tires for the mains.
Please let me know your experience including any change in handling characteristics, shimmy, etc.

As always I appreciate any input.
Thanks

Peter K
9A 275 hrs

Been replacing tires on my RV-6 for nearly a dozen years. I used Condors for awhile then went to Desser's standard retread, not the monster retread. The standard retread shouldn't require any mods to the wheelpants. If you do have clearance problems with the standard retreads, the pants are too tight for any tire.

Haven't seen any problems with shimmy, balance, etc.

I went to monster retreads and haven't had to re-cut fairings at all.

Good year flight custom III. When I had a Velocity I used Condors and would have to flip the tires around every 60 landings (with the bowed landing gear the outside edge would always touch first and wear fast-home base is concrete runway). I eventually went to the Goodyears and they by the time I sold the plane I had 150 landings without having to flip them. They cost more but when I figured out cost per landing they were competitive. At last annual I pulled the monster retreads off and put on Goodyears on my 6.

I just changed to the "Monsters"

Good year flight custom III. When I had a Velocity I used Condors and would have to flip the tires around every 60 landings (with the bowed landing gear the outside edge would always touch first and wear fast-home base is concrete runway). I eventually went to the Goodyears and they by the time I sold the plane I had 150 landings without having to flip them. They cost more but when I figured out cost per landing they were competitive. At last annual I pulled the monster retreads off and put on Goodyears on my 6.

We will see how they last. My "Vans Standards" lasted 350 hours but more importantly hundreds of landings. However, a buddy of mine has the Good Years and was already over 600 hours with lots of short flights, ala lots of landings too. (landings on pavement is what really matters. I log my landings but I don't total them.)
As others have already said, no modifications needed. They sit a little taller and the tread width slightly thinner.

My choice, by far would be Dresser retreads and had to hardly change the wheel pants opening. My original tires lasted for about 125 hours, and now with these after 175 hours I rotated them with more then half life still remaining.

Goodyears

When I bought my plane, they had Goodyear Flight Custom IIIs on. I have replaced them with Flight Custom IIs and these lasted about 70% s long as the IIIs.

While at ACS's Open House a while back, a Goodyear rep was there and mentioned that a study was made at a large flight school (NDS?). the study showed the IIIs had the least cost per landing of all tires tested.

I just bought new IIIs this week and I may send my old IIs to Desser to recap to try out. I'll feel better knowing the history of the tires before recapping.

Mark

I have not bought my first set of replacement tires yet. Its almost time. What exact tire size are you using for the Good year flight custom III?

In this link, what is the column "PR"

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/gy_tires.php

Last edited:
desser tires

Desser retreads your tires, but if you aren't looking to have it retread, we definitely offer brand new tires too with brands like Good Year, Michelin, and more.

www.desser.com for more info

You can also follow us on Twitter now @DesserTire