Cadstat

Well Known Member
Does anybody take along an extra tire and tube on those long X-country's?
Also what is the best way to lift the A/C and change out a tire when ''out of town''?

I carry an extra tube (both sizes) but not an extra tire. If it's a nosewheel, just hold the tail down. Tailwheel, hold the tail up. If a main, not sure what one would do in the middle of nowhere without a jack.

cheers,
greg

tire and tube....

I don't. While it would be nice to have all kind of spares, the weight and expense adds up.

I do carry a few tools and a spare spark plug, some gasket material, a little bit of electrical supplys, but that's about it. Tires and tubes are low on my list of expected problems.

I can recall one situation in the last five years where an crew would have benefited from carrying a spare tire and tube. It was a backcountry strip, a Cessna trike, and as I recall two guys in the front seats. Blew the tire and the tube when landing. They had friends fly in new parts.

My vote is for prevention. Make sure the air pressure is in spec and you aren't subjecting the nose gear to much stress (if so equiped). Keeping farther to the rear of the CG envelope will help unload the weaker nosegear, probably overall a good thing, but especially so on rough strips.

Main tire in the backcountry? Find/or make a lever and fulcrum. Use the lever and some rope (clove hitch or pruisk knot on the gear leg so the rope stays down near the axle). Hope I don't have to actually figure that out.:D But then, I'm not carrying the tube and tire anyway, so I suppose I'd end up asking for a the appropriate tools as well.

Does anybody take along an extra tire and tube on those long X-country's?
Also what is the best way to lift the A/C and change out a tire when ''out of town''?

No tire but most definitely a spare tube (RV-6). The odds of a tire failure are very remote, but tubes can fail. A spare tube for a RV nose wheel is in my opinion a must-have since that tube is nearly impossible to find locally and nose wheel tubes have a history of deflating with no warning. There are numerous threads in this forum dealing with those issues.

Last edited:
Tubes

I carry tubes.

If a main blows you simply crouch down under the spar at the outboard end of the wing and lift on your back..Not heavy.

Of course you need a helper with a car jack or block of wood/stone to place under the axle as said helper removes the wheel.

Not ideal but quite doable

Frank

i have never.......

had a main go flat but more than my share of nosewheels in 3,800. both tubes are in the plane which my also help out another fellow aviator. while landing at arcadia years ago i felt a flat nose wheel, added power and headed home to deal with it. i hate it when that happens. ft landerdale incident was a costly tow. ouch.
dsc00531.jpg

I didn't carry a tube until I had a flat tire on landing. Of course this happened on a Sunday with no one in the MX shop. Luckily RocketBob landed behind me and had a spare tube with him. I now carry a tube and enough tools to change a tire. The whole deal weighs less than a pound (of cure).

overkill

May be overkill and I have never had a nosewheel flat, but I carry a complete nosewheel just in case on long CC or when my destination doesn't have a suitable maintenance facility. After replacing my nosewheel tire after 460 hours of flawless performance, I realized what a pain in the butt it is to get the tube inside the rim without pinching. The weight tradeoff is worth it to me.
cbo

Ditto on the complete nosewheel....

Karma now dictates I will never have a nosewheel issue. With the Hartzell up front, the weight comes in handy behind the seat. At least that is what I tell myself or anyone that asks.....

Spare tubes

Great advice from all. Having the spares on board to help a buddy might be the best reason to carry them. Spoken like a true Boy Scout. Birds of a RV feather do flock together. I think I'll throw in a spare spark plug too just in case.

Great advice from all. Having the spares on board to help a buddy might be the best reason to carry them. Spoken like a true Boy Scout. Birds of a RV feather do flock together. I think I'll throw in a spare spark plug too just in case.

Be sure you also toss in a spare drain valve for the fuel tanks. Or, at least a 1/8" NPT plug to take the place of the valve until you get home. The o-ring in the valve can let go at inopportune times. You can replace the valve without draining the tank or losing hardly any fuel if you work fast. :)

One more....I also have a short length of 1/16" stainless welding rod for quickly making a hinge pin for a fuel cap. The original pins can break if abused.

What about....

Does anybody take along an extra tire and tube on those long X-country's?QUOTE]

...the automotive "fix-a-flat" feasibility? I wonder if they are applicable to aircraft stock? Obviously they'd be of no utility to a major rupture.

Tools!

For every spare part, take the necessary tools along, too.

And yes, they add up. On my Cessna it's the hydraulic jack and the jack pad that really adds some weight.

I did give a nose wheel tire and tube to another 6A pilot when he had a flat at a Denver area airport fly in. As far as spare parts and tools, I had beaucoup when I flew to Mexico. Even had a spare alternator.

Still need to get that drain plug for the wing fuel tank.