scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
What did you do? Leave this rivet out (filler rivet) and the next one too, or did you go ahead and smush the skin down to make contact with the frame here? What is the canopy shape in this area when the time comes. If I put a rivet in this hole it sure would flatten the nice curve (maybe it isn't supposed to have a nice curve here). Help, what did you do?

click for bigger.

Scott I left both those rivets out. Notice no celcos there...
FUSELAGE%20450.jpg

The tip up frame and its components as you can see are hardly structural what so ever. Once you have that bad boy all riveted together elsewhere. If it pleases you, I would just seal the forward side with a piece of tape and form yourself a nice filet of JB weld between there for support. I doubt this area will ever see any type of pressure. Have a 12 pack of beer handy once you think you get the fitment good and then rivet the assmebly together and then place it back on the plane, it changed the alignment of the front edge a bit for me. No worries, this is quite common.

-Jeff

Forget them

Scott,
I left three out, based on when the gap between the skin and the tube frame became such that I thought I would destort the skin.
The whole area is either under the plexiglass or epoxy filet. see pics.
I have been to VNE+21KT (221KT) and it has not moved
Pete.

FWIW, I shimmed two out of the three holes on each side (shim between the skin and the tube) and used longer pop rivets in those spots so they'd have enough grip length.

Thanks a bunch for the great pictures and comments. I'll build on.