PeteP

Well Known Member
I am ready to install the plexiglass canopy onto the tipup frame. Should I set the two rows rivets on the sides before or after bolting the plexiglass on the frame. Not real keen on banging rivets that close to the plexi if I set the plexiglass first but not sure I can get the plexiglass installed on the sides if I rivet first.

I bonded the canopy bubble on to the frame with Sikaflex, and used some homemade clamps to hold the plexiglass to to the frame during the curing period. After it set up, I installed the side skirt skins to the frame with some more Sikaflex on the plexiglass and side skirts. They were held in place with clecos until this cured fully. The final step was to squeeze the rivets for the side skirts. I had just a couple of rivets that had to be bucked, and the handle on the pilot side was a very tough place to buck the aft most rivet. I had to use the back rivet set for that one. I was real comfortable bucking these few rivets, since I don't have any screw holes in the plexiglass that might cause a stress crack. My measurements of the gap between the side skirts and frame versus the thickness of the plexiglass gave me about 1/32" to work with for the Sikaflex. You could probably slide your canopy down between them after you rivet the side skirts on the frame.

IMG2554-M.jpg

IMG2557-M.jpg

Yep ... as they said ...

....squeeze those rivets, don't shoot 'em. I did them after the canopy was installed.

Another tip on the tip-up: Be most careful installing the front 2 or 3 screws on each side. The majority of the people I know who cracked a tip-up did it there. I never fully torqued down the foremost screw on each side; it was clear the canopy contour caused a slightly bigger gap there, and tightening the screw fully would translate into significant stress on the Plexi. As I recall, I even used a slightly longer #6 screw on the 2 foremost screws on each side to allow for the bigger gap.