Slats

I need to jack up the plane to get a look at the wheels.

Does anyone have any do's/dont's/suggestions/warnings for me?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Hi Eric,
By any chance Do You have a picture of that. Thanks in advance.

Pretty simple, short bolt/nut attaches the eyebolt in the wing to the eyebolt attached to the top plate of the jack. Cinder blocks under the plywood base of the jack. Very versatile and secure. Overkill maybe, but needed a long-term jacking method for the whole plane with the engine mount off my RV-3 and this worked great. Could level the wings, the fuseleage, and still climb into the plane without worry.

jackc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is how I do it to jack up the main.

Put a hose clamp on the gear leg (very close to the bottom near the bend) with the screw portion on the inside. Use my floor jack to catch that and portion of the leg itself. I have never had any issues with that

I replace the tie-down ring with a bolt/large washer/spacer nut and use a wing jack. Be aware under some conditions, the tail might have to be tied down.

Jacking up the plane near the wheel itself tends to restrict access to whatever I'm working on. An engine hoist is okay, except that it involves removing the cowling.

Harbor Freight Lifting Table

Item #94822 that costs less than $125, when on sale.

You drive this table up to the wing, just outboard of the wheel fairing, place a rigid foam 3 inch x 3 inch (or similar) on the table, under the spar, give it a few pumps with your foot, and the wheel is off the ground. Do whatever you need to do, squeeze the handle and it lowers it.

This lifting table has many uses around the aircraft, lifting the tail, etc. When on sale they are just over $100. Best investment I ever made. I've used it for years and wouldn't be without it at home. Of course this is not going to take care of a problem away from home. That's where you cross your fingers and also keep your tires in good condition.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR

I came here a couple weeks ago looking for tips on how to jack my plane for maintenance. The tip about the HF jacking table reminded me that, when I was building, I had bought a transmission jack from Grizzly so I could easily put the wings on by myself. So, I used that to jack the plane. Worked great. Pics here:
http://www.meyette.us/custom.htm#jacking
brian