Harold Lanfear

Well Known Member
A long story, but the shop that wired by 430W into my system used the GRT wiring diagram for 430, not realizing they are different from the 430W.

Other problems that surfaced included wiring 'gray code' wires for the Mode S transponder. The GRT manual clearly specifies they GRT gray code is not compatable with the Garmin 330 and an RS232 connection must be made.

This is a large, respected shop and they are making this good; no problem there; my purpose in this note is to let you know you should ensure you know the wiring requirements for your particular units and ensure the shop has the correct manuals, diagrams, etc. This may sound like overkill but if you have a problem you'll wish you would have done this up front. Sooner or later, you'll end up you'll have to know the diagrams and wiring details anyway.

Huh, aside from the antenna, what did they find different? Considering that when the 430 in my Cardinal was upgraded to a brand new 430W, all they did was remove the old unit, plug in the new unit, then changed the antenna, I find this suprising.

Only a few of the pins that were previously marked RESERVED for the 430 are now defined with the 430W. The P4001 (GPS), P4002 (Comm) and P4006 (VHF Nav) otherwise remain the same. For example, Pin 15 of the P4001 connector was previously label RESERVED in the 430 documentation, on the 430w documentation it is labeled AVIONICS POWER 2. Similarly pins 51 & 52 were previously labeled RESERVED, with the 430w, they are now labeled AUDIO HI/Lo. None of the signal lines or previously defined lines have changed.

I think someone came up with a reason to pad your bill.

this is noob speaking...

I always assumed wiring up the panel is no more challenging than hooking up the stereo in the family room.

I guess not.

Do you know of anybody's build-log that has a good documentary of the panel?
I would like to read up on the requirements.