DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Idea starter, plenty of variations. Build from scrap. Sure does make prep, paint, polish and transport easy to do. With this on the tip rib all you need are two sawhorses.

1/2" angle, some plate and a length of pipe. (One leg is short here to clear a mag bracket.)

P8150004.JPG

Attach to end rib with six #8's or #10's.

P8050006.JPG

Wing will sit upright on the spar, or flat with the addition of a 2x2.

P8050007.JPG

Last edited:
Love it!

I wasn't sure how I was going to handle that one and skipped paint while I had both the space, and the chance because I hadn't wrapped my head around that one.

If finances prevent me from moving foreward with the finish kit, paint will be next. Fuse in a rotisserie and wings on horses. I simply love it.

Thanks for posting Dan!

Dan

I made a device to support and spin the wing while painting. The large lightening holes behind the spar will accept a 4.5 inch PVC pipe. I got two such pipes of a total of 12 feet; stuck them in from both ends and wired together at the bellcrank. Then I built two saw horses and cut notches for the pipe to rest in. I use a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe in the smaller end hole as the brake/ stop. All cost about $20. for the wood and pipe and took 30 mimutes to build. Works great! Sorry I don't have a photo. Best regards, Bill of Georgia

dan do you have to drill new holes for the attach screws? you are attaching to the rib, rather than the skin?

dan do you have to drill new holes for the attach screws? you are attaching to the rib, rather than the skin?

Yes, through the rib near the flange. Same for Randy's pipe bracket n' plywood method. Bill's PVC pipe method is pretty cool too.

Last edited:
what paint

and system are you using? I enjoy reading about your progress and process, please give paint updates if you have time.