Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I am in the process of trimming my RV-7 canopy and I had a few questions for you. I trimmed off the excess around the front and sides of the canopy. I first only trimmed the excess in the front just forward of the curve formed during the manufacturing process. I then checked the gap above the roll frame, it was 5/8". I read you website when it came to this issue and I too called Van's to see how close they recommend getting the canopy to the roll frame before splitting it. I spoke to Gus (the Ausi) and he told me to get it as close as possible, in fact he said they used to make the cut line on the canopy before they were sent out. As much as a 2" setback cut but might be needed. So with that information in hand I progressively cut the forward end first ~3/4", the roll frame gap was now 1/4". I then cut about another 3/8-1/2 off and the gap is now 1/8". I believe this is the best I will get. You can push on the center of the canopy above the roll frame and just about touch it.

The thing is that as you take more off the front, the canopy gets a little shorter each time. Since I took approximately 1 1/4" or so off the front, the back "flare" gets closer to the baggage bulkhead. Once I split the canopy and make the cleanup cuts I expect to loose another 1/8" in length. I am concerned that the transition to the rear "flare" in the canopy might cause me some problems once I attach the top skin and attempt to screw the rear canopy section in place.

Currently I have the canopy 1 3/4" back from the canopy top skin edge per the instructions. I can shift it back a bit, but then the gap increases above the roll frame.

For those who have passed this way before me I am sure you understand my explanation. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul

This is really timely!

I'm just starting the cut process as well and figuring out if the roto-zip or the cut-off wheel work better. From the initial tests, it looks like the cut-off wheel is going to make the best cuts.

I was wondering the same thing, how much to initially cut. How far back on the forward corners? Right up to the point where the canopy starts to flare? The forward edge is pretty easy. The instruction say to cut away up to the mold lines? Can any more be removed for the first cuts?

Jim

Hi Paul,

With 1/8 clearance you are ready for the big cut. After this you'll notice the canopy has become rather floppy and sags onto the frame and rollbar. At this point yu have a much better overview of what you still mus trim. For the cut I used a powerful electrical grinder with the cutting wheel Van's provided. With this tool you can make the cut in one (two) big move and this is important to get a fluent cut. The air tool just went to slow. Good luck!
For some pictures and some more tips, see: http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=4581