cnpeters

Well Known Member
I am at the point where I need to decide on a targa strip for my tip up (RV-9A), aft end of the front canopy. I may also put on a strip center top of the back window. I have reviewed old posts for glass techniques for the targa and a couple aluminum made ones. In terms of pros and cons with which direction to go, I see possible delamination of FG (happened on two folks), sanding mess, maybe longer time to fabricate? It seems the alum would be simple to template and build with 0.025 or 032 sheet, afix with existing screws, maybe every other hole if one doesn't mind the screws showing.
Any other pros and cons from those that have built them? As an aside, i have no glass experience, though will change soon with the canopy front edge fillet.

I tried to build one of of AL, but it didn't work for me.

I got a great fit at the front, but the canopy starts to taper down as you go back and the targo strip sat quite a bit high of the glass. I couldn't find a good way to fix this.

I then went ahead and layed up one out of FG... looking back, not sure if it was really worth it.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Do the front and by the time you are done with that, you will be a pro and the targa will be a no brainer.

I went with FG just because I do not have the skill or the gear to make one out of metal.

Scratch the poo out of the canopy with 40 grit and the targa will stick. I also countersunk and re-installed every other screw thru the targa as well to prevent it from ever departing. My side overhangs are also glassed all the way back and overlap the targa.

The only issue I had with my targa was my fault. I did not sand the bottom aft edge of it well enough and it started to sand a groove in my aft window plexi.

Last edited:
Or, overlap the forward plexiglas onto the roll bar, and forego the Targa strip entirely. A thin foam gasket will seal nicely around the roll bar.