N941WR

Legacy Member
I made the right side canopy skirt last night and I?m just not happy with the results. In fact, I?m not happy with either side.

Because I followed the directions on drilling the tip-up frame to the hoop before fitting the canopy I now have a 1/4" gap under the side rails of the tip-up, not the 18" Van's calls for. Thus the canopy side skirts only overlap the side skin by about a 1/32? or so. I suspect this will not be enough to keep the wind out. I'm thinking I should probably re-make them so they drop down at least a 1/8" or so.

(Note, Dan?s web site addresses this but I didn?t read it until after the hoop was riveted and the canopy was trimmed. The directions tell you to match drill the side rales in two places. Dummy me just followed the instructions and and drilled them the first time I read it. Sounds like an problem with the builder?s manual.)

How much should the canopy skirts overlap the side skins?

Also, I will need to put a 1/4" shim on the bottom of the tip-up side rails so I can get a good fit with the seals.

Ugggg...

Any thoughts?

Bill The side skirts are not suppose to "overlap" the side skins, they are suppose to but up to the edge with a very close gap. The rubber seal between the frame and top of the fuselage is what keeps the wind out.

FUSELAGE%20402.jpg

CANOPY%20058.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply. Then I'm good to go the way it is. Only my skins don't line up with the aft skin like yours because of the canopy sits higher. :(

Not really a big deal safety wise but there goes my chance of winning at OSH next year. :rolleyes:

Well, at least both sides look the same.

This weekend we rivet on the aft skin.

The side skins did overlap the sides slightly on the earlier kits. Mine do.
BTW, the air goes out at this point, not in.

It was an option

Mel said:
The side skins did overlap the sides slightly on the earlier kits. Mine do.
BTW, the air goes out at this point, not in.

Mel,
It was an option on the early kits to do it either way - my old plans book (circa. RV dark ages) specify either an overlap of 1/16 to 1/4 inch or a butt joint.

I think builders found the butt joint easier to make, and there is a chance of the overlapping portion catching or scraping on the fuselage if the canopy does not come down straight.... so Van just specified the "butt option" in his later revisions.

gil in Tucson

Wow Jeff! Your workmanship looks great. I like the shape of your canopy lift handle. Is that aluminum or some other material? Also why the cap screws instead of the flat heads to secure the plexi to the side rails?

Thanks Dave, its .063 angle. I went with button head screws because it was simple and easy and they kinda look like rivets. Using these I didnt have to countersink or dimple anything.

-Jeff