Jamie

Well Known Member
This is for you tip-up -6, -7, and -9 builders...

I finished installing my rear window last night and I'm having some puckering between the screws. I assume that I didn't press the plexi against the skin enough when I was drilling. Is this a common problem? Any suggestions on fixing it? I'm thinking I may try to put a thin piece of weather stripping there. I'm a little concerned about air making it's way into the baggage area and freezing the back of my neck.

It is rather cold here these days so could the problem possibly be the cold weather?

I thought about using my edge-rolling tool but in the end decided against it. Now I almost wish I would have done it but it's too late now (the skin dimples prevent me from doing it).

2007-01-31.1924.jpeg

I ended up putting a gasket in there to "fill the space." Killed 2 birds, so to speak. I had been planning to seal the rear window somehow anyway, and this was a no-mess way to do it.

It was 1/16" thick silicone from McMaster Carr. Don't recall the p/n offhand.

Thanks, Dan.

I searched at McMaster-Carr and it appears that the only stuff they have is orange (which makes sense since silicone gaskets are orange). Did you find another color or did you just use the orange?

Gasket

Jamie-
I have some 1/16" thick black gasket material I've been using since I had the -6A. Worked great in the area you're talking about. I also used my little edge rolling tool to put a very slight bend around the whole rear glass area. That, along with the gasket, help do away with the puckering. If you want to make a trip to Covington, I'll be glad to give you all the material you'll need. Got plenty left!
Good Luck!

Jamie said:
Thanks, Dan.

I searched at McMaster-Carr and it appears that the only stuff they have is orange (which makes sense since silicone gaskets are orange). Did you find another color or did you just use the orange?
I used the orange (it's kinda reddish, really).

Puckered up

Jamie,

I don't think you did anything wrong when you drilled. I experienced the same puckering and I held the glass tight against the skin when I drilled. It seems more evident after I dimpled the screw holes.

I might roll the edge with a specially made short depth edger prior to final installation of the top skin but I have decided yet.

Paul
RV-7A finishing kit

I have the same problem and it bothers the dickens out of me. I was going replace the window but dont know if it will come out better.EJ

Barefoot Billy:

Thanks! I appreciate it. I may swing down there one day the next time I rent a plane. I'll get your number from Kahuna.

Thanks to all you guys for the helpful comments.

puckering at a different spot

Reviving an old thread, I'm beginning the fit of my rear window (-7 tipup). After the big cut & trimming the rear window to the plans-specified 1 1/4" outside the top skin outline, I get a good 'glass/skin fit from top rear to about 10" back of the roll bar. from that point it looks like the skin is puckered out, but on closer exam the bottom edge of the window doesn't curve down & in quick enough & is slightly outside the vertical line of the fuselage side. The problem is almost identical on both sides. I *might* be able to pull this in with screws, but my plan is to glue the canopy and the rear window. I've got misgivings about expecting the sikaflex to hold against this much stress when it won't be the specified 1/8" thickness around this curved edge.

Has anyone else seen similar problems, and what did you do? The 1st thing that comes to mind is heating & recurving the plexi, but the 2nd thing that comes to mind is needing a new $1K canopy.

Thanks,

Charlie