Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I have to sign the final paperwork on my order for my fusledge and tipup finish kit but I still have a couple of questions left.
In flight in rain will it come in through the front of the windscreen where the canopy top meets the top of the cowling?

to prevent the avionics from getting wet if you open the tip up where I see the water would run down the canopy, has any one embedded mylar strips into the fiberglass to deflect the water away?

Is anyone out there flying with no water problems on either slider or tip up? If so what have you done. I have heard of problems of water on the avionics in the tipups and water on your baggage in the sliders.

Tomorrow is the deadline.

Thanks
Smilin' Jack

Jack,
No problems here.
Canopy is farther back than hinge so no problem
there.
I did put a 1 1/2 in strip in there to keep water out.
Works great.

Hope this helps.

There is an old thread on putting a nylon cloth between the tipup canopy and the bulkhead. The nylon effectively channels water away from the avionics when the canopy is either open or closed. I vaguely recall that Abby at Flightline was maybe making these. You might check the archives for that thread.

Greg

No issues with rain for me, though I get some water from my rear window in the baggage compartment which I failed to seal when I was building. If you add some pro-seal to this before last installation, it should not leak either.

water and a tip up...

The most water that I see is after a rain on the ground or when washing the plane; with a tail dragger you have to wipe down the front top skin and canopy before opening up or you get lots of water running back in the opening.

In flight a good seal will pretty much keep most all mild amounts of rain out but in heavy persistent rain you will get some infiltration at the hinge points.

Grady, with GLO customs sealed the side of the canopy and rear window beautifully.

When washing the plane I put wash rags in the fresh air scoops while spraying and that keeps the vents from getting wet... this will come as quite a surprise if you don't ;)

Thanks for all the post... I see what you mean about water in the air vents. : ):) :) :) :)

Smilin' Jack
We sent the order in
7QB fusledge, slider, Horizontal induction.
to be delivered March 19.

and speaking of air vents, its a good idea to put a scrub pad or screen in/on them to keep out unwanted bugs while flying or even while parked. A bumblebee in the cockpit is not a desirable thing while flying!

Greg

Water-impervious cloth cover ...

There is a water-impervious cloth cover to protect the instrument area in a tip-up .... otherwise if you open a wet canopy, the water runs down right into all those precious electronics. I recall they the cover and velcro for installation were made/sold by a gal in TX or somewhere south. I don't think it's Abby.

And I need to find that gal's name and address, because I need to buy one !

I sent three emails to Kate and never got a reply. In the end I made my own. No, I'm not interested in going into business... :)