UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I am at everyon's favorite part of the build, working on the canopy.
I've spent the last week or so working on the frame and have it mounted on the fuselage and the holes in the hinges drilled.

I the gaps are fairly consistent and measure around 0.45" at the middle of the frame. However, I can not lift the frame with the skin on as it hangs up.
I know I need to widen the gap a bit, but was hoping to get an idea as to what others final gaps ended up at.

Thanks,
Jason

30us7kg.jpg

What a lot of folks do is put a shim between the skin and the frame along the leading edge to help lift it over the forward skin. I, of course, forgot to do that when riveting mine. But I also didn't drill the holes in the ears that well so the frame was already sitting somewhat higher than the forward skin. Nonetheless, I still have a gap that's about like yours. I may end up making it even more.

You cannot finalize this gap properly until the forward skin is riveted. Clecoes just don't do the job here. After the forward skin is riveted, you can file the leading edge of the canopy skin for final fit.

You cannot finalize this gap properly until the forward skin is riveted. Clecoes just don't do the job here. After the forward skin is riveted, you can file the leading edge of the canopy skin for final fit.

So..... is the best course of action to leave it as is (non-opening) and just wait to file it once the forward skin is riveted?

What I did was put a couple layers of duck tape over that area letting the canopy sit down on it while building.

This stopped it from catching till I could do the final filing....

You will have to rivet it AND install the gas struts to see the final gap. The struts will noticeably push the canopy forward when in the closed position and likely cause the skins to catch on each other (and bend) when subsequently opening the canopy.

Fin
9A

shims

I'm doing my canopy now also, and had the same problem, also with about a 0.045 gap. I put 3 shims inbetween the skin and frame and it opens fine. But also, my skins are not riveted and I expect this whole thing to move more as I finish the canopy. You can see it at

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...n&project=607&category=5668&log=105375&row=15

I have not yet enlarged the 1/4 holes to 3/8 for the bushing. I'll do that last. I'm thinking if after the canopy is done I can move those holes slightly when I put in the bushings.