Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

instrumentpanel.jpg

I have been laying out my instrument panel for my RV-7A tip-up and have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out which approach to take full panel or segmented sub-panel. The image shown is of both configurations.

The full panel is self explanatory. The segmented sub-panel has the lower panel in segments. The right side is for switches, the center is for the throttle controls and the right side is for circuit breakers and aux power.

The layouts are roughly the same. Planning for two Dynon's but only going to install a D180 (left side). To the right side of the left Dynon is airspeed, altimeter and hobbs. Under the Dynon are two 2.25" cutouts possibly a clock and intercom. The Avionics stack consists of an AirGizmo's Panel dock 396, SL-40 and a 327 transponder. On the right side is a glove box and above that are two 2.25" cutouts (compass and ?).

The reason I am considering the segmented sub-panel is to ease is wiring the switches and to allow ease of modifications to electrical system (adding more stuff) in the future.

The full panel is 11.3" tall, .7" taller then the standard panel. The segmented panel is 11.625" tall and is 1" taller then the standard panel.

Any input would be appreciated.

Check depth and knee clearance

You may want to check the depth of your radio. The Garmin SL-30, for example, requires a hole in the forward sub-panel and the Garmin 327 transponder is a very tight fit without the hole. On the TU, the hat section that supports the hinge pin release mechanism is a constraint on where you can put that hole. I had to put my radio stack just to the right of that structure.

That said, access to stuff behind the panel on the TU is pretty good and the whole panel can be moved away from its mounted position if the wires allow it. I have nothing against modular, but you will want to examine the cost/benefit relationship. You will be happy when you are flying, either way!

Oops, just noticed your extra height panel. Excellent for getting stuff in, but there may be less knee room than you think. You may want to find a completed aircraft to check on it.

Last edited:
Dan's the man

Have a look at Dan Checkoway's website, he put a taller panel in I think

Frank 7a

Canopy release location

hevansrv7a said:
You may want to check the depth of your radio. The Garmin SL-30, for example, requires a hole in the forward sub-panel and the Garmin 327 transponder is a very tight fit without the hole. On the TU, the hat section that supports the hinge pin release mechanism is a constraint on where you can put that hole. I had to put my avionics stack just to the right of that structure.

I have relocated the hole for the release system such that it penetrates the panel between the avionics stack and the right Dynon unit. In addition the hat section that supports the release mechanism has been shortened to allow the radio and transponder to penetrate the forward bulkhead. The 396 on top doesn't require a bulkhead penetration thus allowing the use of the canopy release mechanism.

Paul

Looks good

Hi Paul,

Looks good. One thing to look for is clearance between instruments. I'm not convince you'll have enough room for the right side Dynon and the map box. I think the map box is more of a PITA than it is worth.

The other thing to look at is the height of the radios. You need space for the tip up support kit to clear everything.

Good luck.

Paul,

Definitely go with the separate switch panel if you can. You're on the right track with that.

The reason I didn't have a separate switch panel below the panel is because I needed the full height for my radio + engine monitor stack.

I went with a "monolithic" panel design which is kinda dumb. Definitely lighter that way, but not by much. I would probably rather have it be modular and 6 oz heavier...

I don't know how deep the Dynons are, but make sure they aren't going to interfere with the tip-up hinges, especially when installing/removing the canopy.

Cutting a hole in the sub-panel for the radios is not an issue, unless they need to pass through where the stiffener for the canopy release should go. That is why you see a lot of radio stacks offset to the right and not in the center of the panel.

The Dynon units will not require a hole in the sub-panel as they are short enough.

One other thought is the location of your glove box. It may not fit there as that brace that connects the sub-panel to the longerons angles inward and will interfere with the back of the box.

It might be a good idea to get some Plexiglas or 1/8? plywood and mock up a panel to see how everything fits before you start cutting the aluminum.