terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I just finished installing the canopy latching system on my RV-6A tip up canopy. I'm wondering about what I can use as a exterior handle to raise the canopy once it is unlatched.

I thought about a small piece of angle riveted to the outside of the canopy frame, but I'm wondering if there are other options out there. Perhaps something that pops in and out, and remains flush while not being used?

Any thoughts?

thanks, terry.

The 6 / 6A plans...

...call for a small triangular shaped angle fabrication that gets riveted near the aft end of the C-603 canopy skirt. The 7 / 7A plans call for just one such fabrication to be installed on the pilots side "only". I don't remember if the "6" plans specified just one side or both...I put them on both sides.

The angle is installed near the aft most structure on the sides of the canopy frame. I found that with the canopy lift struts installed, it only takes a small amount of "human" force to get the canopy started in the upward direction. Also, the physical location of the called-out placement makes reaching the lift handle very convenient when standing near the flaps.

If you are considering installing some type of retractable handle, just remember that there is canopy latch detail in this same area that you will need to work around.

Also, there was a recent thread (and video) about a builder that installed a pneumatic canopy lift mechanism for his tip up. Quite impressive.

Sam, that a good idea....

On my RV-6 tipup, I mounted the angles inside the canopy frame, and the horizontal "handles" protrude through a slot in the canopy side skirts. A little cleaner look without a lot of extra work.

Next time..

Kent

I would recommend thst you don't put one on the passenger side. Sometimes they have no clue as how to open it and damage it. From experience only.