Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow Tip-up builder who have come before me,

I followed the plans and spaced the rivets in the canopy roll over frame rivet 1.5" along the roll over frame (F-631A). Now I find myself in a quandary now that it is time to layout the screw hole locations on the roll frame for the rear window attach. In addition I prefer to have the screw spacing of the rear window and the main canopy (along the F-631A on the canopy frame) match. To clear the rivet locations along the roll frame the screw spacing would need to be 3" rather then the 2.5" spacing called out in the plans. I have seen a few websites where builders have tried to make the 2.5" spacing work only to drill along the side of a rivet (not the best) for a screw location. This still remains an option for me however I have looked at various spacing 2.625", 2.75" etc. All end up with a location interfering with a rivet location or two.

My main question is have any of you tip-up builders used 3" screw spacing. If so, any unusual bulging between screws? For those flying with this spacing, any issues? Would you repeat the spacing again or would you change it.

In short for those who are building up the roll frame, you can change your rivet spacing to 1.25" and avoid this issue all together. This is just another inconsistency in the RV plans.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Don't worry

Hi Paul,

If you are going to do a Targa strip don't sweat the spacing. (trying to get them to match.) Also, I don't believe you need to use all of the recommended fasteners. If the spacing is good and you leave out one, that is no big issue. The rivets are definitely a PITA.