N941WR

Legacy Member
I've just finished cutting and fitting the forward section of my tip-up canopy and am getting ready to drill it to the side rails and bow.

Before I screw it down should I use some type of sealant on those aluminum pieces to cushion it just a little? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

canopy attachment

Bill,
I am at this same stage and I am planning on using some Lexel sealant, not so much for the cushioning, but to keep the water out of the joints. Just a small bead between the line of screws and the top of the side skin, between the canopy frame bow and the Plexi, and between the aft skin and the Plexi. I had seriously considered the Sika adhesive, but went ahead drilled the holes for the screws. It turns out it is much easier the second time, after cracking the Plexi the first time :>(
If you haven't drilled the side rails and bow yet, PLEASE pay close attention to the directions. Have someone hold the canopy down, drill a few holes at the top of the bow, a few at each side rail, then finish drilling the rest of the holes. If you are using an air drill, keep the air pressure (hence, the drill speed) down, and have fun.
Ward

Last edited: