FresnoR

Well Known Member
Has anyone came up with a different or more fun design for the Tip Up Canopy Lift Handle? The one in the plans just seems a little boring.

DSC08638-150x150.jpg

Boring but;

Simple,
Cheep,
Light weight,
Effective,

I looked for a lot of different ways to do it but always came back for the above reasons :D

I gave up putting them on the passengers side, too many mistakes by those who didn't understand the proper way to open and close. Better damage control.

I gave up putting them on the passengers side, too many mistakes by those who didn't understand the proper way to open and close. Better damage control.

Too funny. I didn't install a handle on the "passenger" side either. I haven't entered or flown from the left side in five years. I kick myself for having to walk around to the other side to open the canopy at least once per week.

Last edited:
Too funny.

Yeah, know what you mean. I had them installed on both sides before noticing the instructions said pilot side only. I did hardcoat anodize them instead of paint since I figured they were a hard usage item.

Too funny. I didn't install a handle on the "passenger" side either. I haven't entered or flown from the left side in five years. I kick myself for having to walk around to the other side to open the canopy at least once per week.

Exactly my reason for having them on both sides. I open the canopy about 40% of the time from the passenger side to check this or that inside, load gear etc.

Greg

Couldn't agree more Rick! I often look at mine and wish I had gone ahead and put a little more imagination into my effort. Could have been made to at least look a little more fun anyway. Now that it's painted.....

Last edited:
Rick,

I used an RV8 canopy handle. Don't have the part #.

Drilled and tapped 2 holes and put #4 screws in it.

Looked great and I would put on both sides.

Just because.:D

Tip up Handle

I did not put any handle on at all. I place my palm against the canopy and have been easily able to lift it with the friction between my palm and the canopy for the past 7 years. I would probably hurt myself if I had a handle to hit on the way up. :)

Reccesed Handle

Sorry for the quality of the photo. Picture taken with limited light and my DUMB phone.
photo0103f.jpg