trib

Well Known Member
:eek: Finished assembling the tip-up canopy on my 6A and was very pleased. No more than a skins thickness in fairing between the leading edge of the canopy deck and the forward skin. Of course that changed when I installed the gas struts to assist in opening the canopy! Now that beautiful fairing is more like 3/16" in front and sides both. I removed the struts and rechecked and there was the nice fit again :mad: . I have the stiffening option from the RV-7 kit installed and the canopy seems plenty sturdy. I temporarily installed some blocks between the canopy and instrument subpanel, fitted to prevent the struts from pushing the canopy frame past its location when closed with the struts removed and this helped somewhat (not as effective on the sideways protrusion). I'm sure I'm not the first person to come across this issue.

Does anyone have any advice on how to restore the nicely faired fit from the front skin to the canopy deck, other than tossing out the struts and carrying a stick in the baggage compartment to prop open the canopy? It looks like the coolness factor is considerably higher with the gas struts installed.

thanks for the suggestions

Tim Ribble :(