Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow RV tip-up builders,

I am considering adding a key lock to lock the tip-up canopy. I wanted to know if there are builders who would like to share their ideas or post some photos of their installations. It is fairly easy to "hack" something together but I am hoping for a "very clean installation" :)

Installation is simple. Just install a "desk" type lock below the latch and cut a slot in the latch that the lever will go into. I'll try to get some pictures of mine today and then try to figure out how to put them here. Never done pictures here before,
Mel...DAR

If you have "21 Years of the RV-ator", look on page 135. There is a short writeup and picture of the system that Mel is referring to (I think).

Jim

Mine is simple

I simply drilled a small hole in the latch lever (the part that passes into the airplane when the canopy latch is opened is open) and I use a small master lock through this hole. Its simple, easy, and unnoticable.

Darwin:

I have seen pics of that latch installed before, but from the outside.

I was wondering if anyone has improved the looks of the tip up latch from the inside. It seems as if you install a nice interior you are going to detract from it with a long ugly actuator linkage running connecting the latch to the opening mechanism. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone done a canopy latch mechanism between the seats like they do on the Lancair Legacy?

Antony

Tip-up lock

I did mine as OneTwoSierra, I use a small combination lock that I set to my birthday so I don't have to worry about losing a key. I did not want anyone trying to use the latch lever to over power the desk lock. Mel's idea will work with a little more work.

Frank

Paul,
I learned about this guy's lock system while at Bob's RV7 dinner at Scholler. I never saw it in person (even though I searched for the plane the next day), but here is his website that describes the cool looking lock system.

Hidden Lock

Scroll through his site to see more about how it is made.

Bill,

Looks really nice. However I have already cut and installed the standard latch.

OneTwoSierra said:
I simply drilled a small hole in the latch lever (the part that passes into the airplane when the canopy latch is opened is open) and I use a small master lock through this hole. Its simple, easy, and unnoticable.

Something that simple had escaped me. Thanks. :)

Latch

Hi Antony,

I think you are referring to the actuator rod. The whole thing is kind of a non issue. I painted mine white to match the interior. It is kind of tucked out of the way and not really noticable.

aparchment said:
Darwin:

I have seen pics of that latch installed before, but from the outside.

I was wondering if anyone has improved the looks of the tip up latch from the inside. It seems as if you install a nice interior you are going to detract from it with a long ugly actuator linkage running connecting the latch to the opening mechanism. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone done a canopy latch mechanism between the seats like they do on the Lancair Legacy?

Antony

padlock for canopy

Same here (RV-6, tip-up). I have a piece of upholstry vinyl with a slot cut in it that goes between the lock and fuse to protect the paint.

And......I use a wimpy little combination lock that can be cut with a decent pair of wire cutters. Having somebody cut the lock and steal stuff out of the plane is much preferred over having somebody bust the canopy and steal stuff out of the plane.

The wimpy little lock keeps honest people honest and hopefully discourages thieves from trashing the $$$$$ canopy.

Sam Buchanan

That's exactly what I was referring to Darwin. I haven't actually seen a completed tip up RV in person yet. All of the ones by me have sliders.

Antony

Mel said:
Installation is simple. Just install a "desk" type lock below the latch and cut a slot in the latch that the lever will go into. I'll try to get some pictures of mine today and then try to figure out how to put them here. Never done pictures here before,
Mel...DAR
Mel,

Have you had a chance to take some pictures? I'm getting ready to work on this and need some more hints on how to install it.

Thanks!