Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow tip-up builders,

I am in the process of triming the tip-up RV-7A canopy and getting ready for the "big cut" to seperate the front half and rear half. I have trimed off the excess material as per the instructions. However with the canopy in position there is a 5/8" gap between the inside of the canopy and the roll frame. In order to drop the canopy height so that the canopy touches the roll frame I would have to take a large amount out of the front of the canopy. I don't think this is what should be done.

Dan Checkoway mentions on his website that he had a 1" gap before splitting the canopy and checked in with Van's on this issue. My question is if you follow the centerline drawn on the roll frame and split the canopy will the back cut angle off from the centerline once the front half rests on the roll frame. In addition wont the rear half have a simular cut angle problem as well.

I know you can trim as required but I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
RV-7A

Canopy cutting

Paul,
If you are within 5/8", go for it. I cut mine yesterday finished drilling them today, and the cut works out fine. Just draw the centerline on the roll bar and cut to that. One thing to mention, though. When cutting and drilling the rear window, take off the canopy and make sure the center of the rear window overlaps the center line of the roll bar a little so the bottom ends will line up OK. When you lift up the rear of the window to drill it to the aft skin, the bottom corners tend to move aft a little and can end up aft of the centerline. I had to cut some off the forward edge at the center to make it all work. Just be sure to watch the edge distance on the Plexi on the roll bar when drilling. If you have to adjust the gap between the canopy and rear window, it's easy to take it off the canopy (no edge-distance worries).
Have fun.
Ward