Don Jones

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone else had a canopy fit issue after hanging the engine and putting the plane on it's gear. I searched the forums but didn't find anything. I was helping a friend this weekend to finish up a bunch of loose ends on his 9A and when reinstalling the canopy for the first time in a few months, we were shocked to find the tip up canopy will no longer shut completely. It appears the plexi is too tight on the roll bar now for some reason. Anyone else??

The engine thing *may* just be coincidental.

When moving my -7A to the airport it was the first time I had ever left the airplane outside for very long in the heat. When the truck arrived to pick up the RV I was going to open the canopy to throw something inside but the handle would not move. I finally got it open...but I could not get it closed again. It was weird. It actually delayed the move a little bit as I filed down the weldments that go into the 'fingers' that hold the canopy closed. So basically it sounds exactly like the situation your friend had.

So basically, it may be a heat thing. You friend may want to wait until late at night (when/if it cools off) to see if he can get it closed.

I would recommend all tip-up builders put their airplane out in the sun a little and let it heat up to make sure they can still get the canopy open.

We tried that...

...but since it was probably 95 in the garage, it made no difference. Hanging the engine and putting it on it's gear were the only real changes that could affect the structure (other than the temp thing). Thought it was pretty weird and are grasping for a reason. It appears the latches will still hit the holes fine if you could get it to close that far. Hmmm

The engine thing *may* just be coincidental.

When moving my -7A to the airport it was the first time I had ever left the airplane outside for very long in the heat. When the truck arrived to pick up the RV I was going to open the canopy to throw something inside but the handle would not move. I finally got it open...but I could not get it closed again. It was weird. It actually delayed the move a little bit as I filed down the weldments that go into the 'fingers' that hold the canopy closed. So basically it sounds exactly like the situation your friend had.

So basically, it may be a heat thing. You friend may want to wait until late at night (when/if it cools off) to see if he can get it closed.

I would recommend all tip-up builders put their airplane out in the sun a little and let it heat up to make sure they can still get the canopy open.

Me too!

I am working on the canopy now, so I am trying to avoid issues like this on mine after the engine is hung. (If that has anything to do with it, or if avoiding issues like this is even remotely possible):cool: