macrafic

Well Known Member
How much room below the top of the subpanel needs to be kept clear of avionic components/structure so that they do not interfere with the tilt canopy in a closed position (RV-7A)?

Enough for the canopy frame to close. About an inch and a half, if I recall.

I dodged this bullet *just barely* when I installed my avionics. Forgot about the forward part of the canopy with the stiffener pieces, and damned if the topmost component (GMA 340 audio panel) was just a hair too close. Changing a few rivets to flush Cherry-Max rivets gave it just enough clearance (it was the cable connectors which were interfering with the stiffener), but I almost had to cut a new panel. This was *after* having the panel, including the upper panel stiffener angle and several angle pieces for the avionics racks all riveted in place, nicely powdercoated. Would have been a PITA to redo it all.

A 3D CAD program with keep-out zones would have been nice during panel layout :).

As mentioned, watch out for the canopy frame where it extends down along the sub panel. Also, watch out for the stiffener assembly as they angle down toward the front. As a matter of fact, when I started planning my panel I made a cardboard mock-up of the stiffeners to see what space they would consume. I have a Dynon D100 & D120 & I wanted them up as high as I could get them without having an interference issue. Study it carefully.

Sam

Mock-up

A mock-up done in acrylic or plexi before and CAD/CAM cutting is worth it's weight in gold for a tip-up...:)

glass-panel_zpsd2390056.jpg

Here is a photo that will give you an idea about how much room the canopy frame takes up along the top of the subpanel.
IMG_2708-M.jpg