Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I was hoping to get a few photos of broken tip-up canopies. Particularly I am looking for photos of those with the aft lower corner broken off. This typically occurs when the canopy was closed improperly. Those who have had this happen typically install a Targa strip to cover the damage.

Here is a sample photo (not my RV-7A). This damage was not from the canopy closing improperly but from being leaned on during maintenance.

Broken Canopy1.jpg

Thanks,

Canopy repair

Run a strip of black plastic tape over the joint between the front and rear sections of the canopy then spray the area with mold release ( do a good job there) then lay a 4 inch wide targa strip. Cover while still wet with ply peel, let this set up, pop this strip off, Trim about a half inch off the front and rear of this strip. Do a good job of cleaning up the forward edge of this strip as now you will bond this strip to the canopy,,,,,after you rough up the area where you will do this bonding,,,,, this will cover that crack and no one will ever sea it. Also, you will have a water tight seal there......good luck. Dave

Canopy Broken

We had the same occurance on our RV12 in that same location.
Added a metal strip.
We used the right stuff to bond it and the existing screws to attach.
Painted it can not tell it was not part of the original design.

Last edited:
Photos of broken area

Gents,

I am not looking for how to repair, I am looking for photos of the damage.

Metal

Hi Paul,

I have some templates to make a perfect metal targa strip. Contact me back line. I used Sika to fasten and then blended in to the canopy skirts with glass.

Although glass or carbon can be used, this isn't a bad place to use metal. The potential for inadvertent abuse and damage exists.

Todd's canopies can send you some of the special glue you can repair with until you make the targa strip.

If you want just to repair it, you can use Weld-on 3 from Tap plastic. With that you will hardly see the crack area and will bond pretty darn good. A friend of mine broke his right where your pix shows and it?s been over three years now and still intact.

If you want to put a Tara strip, which I did (and I did not break any part to be covered) first mark about 1.5? of the TP and scuff really good. You need to scuff this more than usually, then cover the gap and the back side with the packaging tape or other type and wax well. Then layup 4 or 5 layer of fiberglass (I used carbon fiber) and allow room for trimming. Once cured sand to finish and paint, it will look even better than without.

Gents,

I was hoping to get a few photos of broken tip-up canopies. Particularly I am looking for photos of those with the aft lower corner broken off. This typically occurs when the canopy was closed improperly. Those who have had this happen typically install a Targa strip to cover the damage.

Here is a sample photo (not my RV-7A). This damage was not from the canopy closing improperly but from being leaned on during maintenance.

Broken Canopy1.jpg

Thanks,

That's my photo of my -7A. I'm assuming that you're thinking of a product for this common break?