Bob Hoffman

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
I am rebuilding a tip up RV-6A and it always bothered me that the rear edge of the canopy is just -well bare-where you can see right down to the rollbar-UGH!
While at the Flying Tigers flyin this past weekend there were a few 9A's that had a nice band (maybe 3" wide) that went over the back of the tilt with a slight overlap over the rear canopy half - giving a nice clean finished look.
My question Is this part of the RV9A kit or is this a fabrication by some enterprising builders ?? Either way how is it done ? Is it an alum band (if so how is it fastened?) or is it strips of f/g laid up over the plexiglass ?
Any help will be appreciated.
Bob
[email protected]

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but could you just lay down a strip of paint on the inside to cover it?

I've seen this done both ways, with aluminum strip and with fiberglass. I used about 5 layers of fiberglass, layed up right on the closed canopy (put wax paper down over the aft window so it doesn't stick. I put every other screw in (to hold the canopy to the frame) and after f-glassing, used the remaining screws to hold attach the f-glass strip. I'm happy with how it turned out, as now nobody can see that my canopy split line is not perfectly straight!

John
Yes the paintline is a good idea but the f/g build up does two things , because of more thickness it gives it depth and by overlaping the rear canopy it gives the illusion (when closed) of it all being one piece (giving it that fighter look)
KOOL
Jeff
Why did you put half of the screws on the outside of the band - didn't the f/g bond to the plexiglass ? or were you just being cautious ?
Great idea's both.
Bob

pics

Bob and Jeff:

Do you have any pics of the installation you described that you could share?

Antony

Bob,

I roughed up the plexi real good where I bonded, and it probably would hold just fine, but I'm a belt-n-suspenders kind of guy.

Antony,

I don't have any pictures. Next time I'm at the airport (probably tomorrow) I'll take some and put them on my website.

Well your in luck . I did take some pictures at the flyin
now all I have to do is figure out how to attach photo's
Also there will (if weather allows) an RV flyin at Little River which should be very good .There are quite a few very nice RV's at Little River ,Cannon Creek Airpark,and surrounding area.
Sooo if there is anything interesting there I'll post.
Bob

good pics

Jeff:

Thanks for the targa band pics. It looks like it gives you a good opportunity to include a piece of thin weather stripping to seal the canopy joint. If I did it I think I would feather it in at the rear too.

Antony

That might make it look nicer, but it'll also make the aft edge more fragile. Just something to consider.

Jeff
Thanks for the picture post it helps me "see" what I need to do -- nice job Jeff.
Jeff , Anthony
Go to the classified section and look at the photo's of Jerry Kummer's RV6A
another example of "the look"
The more I look the more I know that this is what I'm going to do -- Just like the look.
Bob

targa band

Jeff -- good point on making the band more fragile by tapering it over the unsupported end.

Bob -- thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

Antony