N316RV

Well Known Member
When I do the final install of the fixed rear window on a tip up, do I need to install with Pro Seal or some other sealer between the window and aft top skin? Looks like a place to leak lots of water if you do not seal. What have others done and what were there experiences after installation?

Thanks
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

Last edited:
Absolutely. Seal it. I didn't and it definitely leaks in any rain around the aft top skin.

Yes, that is the only place I had water coming in when flying in rain, fair amount of it. I have since sealed it but without removing and resintalling it and hoping that is going to take care of it.

ProSeal

About a month ago I helped 339A seal his canopy using a bead of proseal. We taped off the canopy and fuselage using fine-line tape, beaded the proseal in and smoothed it out. Next day we took the tape off and it looked just like we knew what we were doing.

Don't Forget the Front Edge

Also very important to seal the edge that attaches to the roll bar. You may also look into using an RTV (working so far for me). I believe it's a Dow 732.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Just in time - but what sealant?

I'm about to install mine for the final time. Hmmm what would be the best sealant?

I just taped it off and put the pro-seal to it. Once installed, I pulled the tape and had a very nice clean install. It will never leak!

I just installed mine yesterday

I decided to us GE silicone II sealant (clear) from the aero section at Lowes. I inserted the rear glass and then pulled it forward a little which exposed most of the screw holes. I applied a small bead just in front of the screw holes running the length of glass and slipped it back into position. I then cleco'd the glass in place and started to install the screws and nuts. The sealant partially cures rather quickly. Any small mount the oozed out I removed using a tongue depressor which I squared and beveled the edge. The sealant was solid enough to just peel off with one pass of the modified tongue depressor.

Simple.

I am always scared to death of getting silicone around anything that will be painted later. It can be really tough to get paint to take to anything that has ever had this stuff on it.

Has anyone considered using something like 3M Strip Caulk? Less permanent than proseal, but waterproof and paintable.

Lexel?

I believe Lexel has been recommended in the past, but I can't vouch for it yet.

I bought a tube at Lowes but I am not ready to seal in the aft skin. Supposedly it can be painted.

Dave A.

Yes, Lexel works great and is clear, so it does not stand out.... don't doubt that other options work well too..