chaskuss

Well Known Member
Listers,
I didn't like how Vans anti hang up guide for the flop tube fuel pick up system blocks your access into the left fuel tank (if you used a flop tube on that tank).
RV8 builder Steve Dixon came up with a nice two piece guide design which allows complete access to the first bay of the fuel tanks with a flop tube system.
I modified Steve's design a bit, to ensure that the tube cleared my NAS 1473-A08 nut plates. See enclosed photos of my access cover and the inside of my left inner fuel tank rib.

2-piece-vertical-anti-hang-up-guide-1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

2-piece-vertical-anti-hang-up-guide-2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Left-fuel-tank-access-cover-with-vertical-anti-hangup-guide.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Left-fuel-tank-1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Left-inner-fuel-tank-rib-with-NAS1473-nutplates.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The brass weight is not installed on the flop tube in the fourth photo. Each half of the anti hang up guide is made of two parts. One part is riveted to the access cover doubler and the other is riveted to the access cover itself. ProSeal is applied between all parts mounted to either the cover or the doubler. It has been a long time since I made this. I believe the pieces are made from .040" or .050" 2024-T3 sheet. The spacer at the bottom was made from 1/4" plate aluminum. The spacer is used so that the anti hang up guide will clear the access door nut plates.

Charlie Kuss [rhymes with puss]

Last edited: