JDBoston

Well Known Member
I wanted to pass along an app that I am finding useful while building.

Some people I know use kitlog, or spreadsheets to track their time and what they are working on. I wanted something open, with a few more features than just a plain spreadsheet, and something which would leverage what I already have in the shop: Namely my iPad.

I settled on TimeTracker by Silverware Software. There are many of these sorts of apps on the app store, and I tried quite a few but most were focused on bill rates or were very quirky to use and some just plain crashed when using them.

Here is a link to check it out, unfortunately there is no demo but the price is currently very low:

http://silverwaresoftware.com/TimeTracker.html

I have a task for each chapter of my build (you could break it down by any category you want). My hierarchy is:

Projects: Wings, Emp, Fuse
Tasks: Chapter 13 Main Spar, Chapter 14 Wing Ribs, etc, etc

I can take photos and attach them as well to entries.

It exports in CSV format and also exports the images, so you are not locked in to the app in any way (put it in a spreadsheet later if you want).

What I do is start a new time log for each day that I work. I start and stop the timer if I take breaks and it keeps track of all of that. Since I have the iPad in the workshop to listen to music/podcasts, etc it is effortless.

Thought I would pass this along as it is helping me in my logging and I did search for quite a bit before deciding to use this.

Jeff

Is there a way to import into it? 'Cause I have a few years of data using another program, which I'd like to import. I can get the other data into any text format.

No import

Ralph,
There is no import unfortunately. I did ask the app developer about that as well but for me I was early enough on that entering the previous time was easy.

You certainly could merge your data from the previous method you have in a spreadsheet and store it elsewhere. Even if I had to start mid build with this the ability to just start and stop the timer and accurately track what I am doing was worth it (99 cents)