Bob Redman

Sponsor
G'day folks,

First post.

Thanks to the generous and sound advice on this forum, until recently my errors have been small.

Now I would like to help prevent others from making the same large mistake that I have made.

If you are transporting a taildragger to the paint shop or hangar, and you have not:

fitted the empenage, and
secured the tailspring and tailwheel with bolts, through the vertical stabiliser spar, and bulkheads;​

then please support the fuselage and tail wheel clear of truck or trailer using cushions as load spreaders for the support (I used a sawhorse) under the rear two bulkheads (F711 & F712) and the tie down strap over the top.

On reflection, use cushions and sawhorse (or equivalents) whether or not the empenage and tailspring/wheel are fitted.

I had removed the empenage some months ago and had not replaced the three bolts which secure the rear tailspring weldment to the rear bulkhead.

I noticed the bouncing as I followed the tilt-tray truck, and immediately knew my mistake. Fortunately the damage was minor, confined to the rear bulkhead (F-712), my pride, and a 5 week delay. The bulkhead has been replaced with new parts from Van's, and the rivets and bulkheads re-painted. Now no one will know except you and me.

Really great post Bob! I made this same mistake years ago when I transported my -8 to the airport, and like you, saw the bouncing and stopped things before they got bad - but it could easily wrinkle the skin and bulkhead!

We just took our RV-3 out of the jig, and since the tail wheel spring is not yet drilled to the aft bulkhead at all, I pointed out this potential for damage to Louise - we have to handle it carefully until those holes and bolts are in.

Paul

Thanks

Gents,

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks too to Mr Doug Reeves for his efforts - much appreciated.

Regards,

Bob Redman