Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Well, I just hope others will be able to learn from my most recent error.

I am just about ready to declare the 10 ready for inspection.

So, I decided it was time to get the paperwork going, so I would have everything ready for the inspector :)

I had gotten the EAA registration kit a few months ago, so I got it out of hiding, and started going through it-------Hmmm, what is this about sending the registration application to Oklahoma City 90--120 days ahead of time:eek:

I thought the guy who was going to inspect the plane took care of all that stuff when he came to visit.

WRONG:mad:

Stupid me, now I am looking at weeks or maybe months before the next step of the process can even begin----

So, for anybody out there even thinking about being done with their plane, dont forget the paperwork till the last minute.

As of now, I am in self imposed exile while I repeat my

"Dummy Me" mantra until I reach enlightenment.

"Owa Tagu Siam" "Owa Tagu Siam" "Owa Tagu Siam"

If you can get the paper work to the FAA, it does not take more than a couple of weeks (mine took about a week).

And another thing. . .
You have to get the form from the FSDO and the bill o sale from van's

Hey Mike, make sure you send your paperwork to the FAA at least 3 months ahead of time...;) Actually they are pretty quick, you should see it in about two weeks if they process you as fast as they did me. Maybe you should call and tell them you moderate for VAF and see if you can get in the front of the line :D Mel did my inspection and he DID do everything except the registration..I already completed that, well in advance, like a year, knew it would take time, was prepared, not even a firefighter, only a boy scout, knew better, read the EAA package....sorry, I'll stop the chop busting.

Last edited:
This is kinda fun watchin Mike mumble to himself in the corner over there!--------------------------> :mad: :confused::mad::eek::mad:

Congrats on getting the -10 to this point! No worries mate! Paperwork snafoos are pretty normal. If this is the worst that happens Mike you are well on your way to have a very nice airplane.

Last edited:
Mike, Welcome to VAF!

We are to help you. But at times, you must help yourself................:p

ps. just couldn't help it.........:D

Now that the FAA is much quicker...............you can check for results on the Internet FAA database after 10 days or so.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

You can fast track it through

I believe the EAA has an agreement with a company that is located physically in the same bldg in OK. For a nominal fee, they will hand carry your registration and help you get it through. It has been some time, but if I remember the fee was quite reasonable and I got my registration in a few days.

I believe the EAA has an agreement with a company that is located physically in the same bldg in OK. For a nominal fee, they will hand carry your registration and help you get it through. It has been some time, but if I remember the fee was quite reasonable and I got my registration in a few days.

Funny how in the U.S. we can pay a "nominal fee" to get expedited service. Many countries just call that what it is. Bribery. And that did keep me out of a Mexican jail one time! I'll save that for another discussion. :)

That's funny!

Funny how in the U.S. we can pay a "nominal fee" to get expedited service. Many countries just call that what it is. Bribery. And that did keep me out of a Mexican jail one time! I'll save that for another discussion. :)

It is a private service and they do help you with the paper work too. They are not part of the FAA or EAA for that matter. You can fill out your own paper work and hand carry it to OK too. That is really all they are doing. (I am sure they buy someone lunch or something from time to time.)

Or not. But you could use the time to add those finishing touches that you were going to wait on until the plane flew.

Or not. But you could use the time to add those finishing touches that you were going to wait on until the plane flew.

Yep, that is what I am doing.

I am quite relieved to hear that the time is closer to 2--3 weeks than the 90--120 days the EAA guide book mentioned.

As far as engine runs, taxi testing, and such go, I need to wait for getting the wings on permanently, and I cant do that till the plane is transported to an airport that the FAA will allow me to do my initial flight from. The local FSDO has made a local edict that my airport and a few others in the area are not to be used for initial flights of new homebuilts.

Mike, it's a bit of a drive for you but I'll put in a word for Yolo County Airport (KDWA). 6000' runway, open fields and (mostly) empty roads all around. A few folks from the foothills have done their phase 1 here due to the FAA edict you mentioned.

Mostly I like it because I'm building my 7 there and I get to look at their planes :)

Lars, thanks for the info, right now my first choice is Rancho Murieta, and my second is Lincoln.

Hadn't thought of Yolo-------are there any hangars available???

Aw, c'mon, you can fast taxi without permanent wing attach. Just kidding, that taxi thread was "off the rails".

FAA Quick turnaround

Mike,

I mailed my registration information in last Wednesday 8/18 (from AZ). It was a certified letter. I tracked it and it arrived Monday 8/23. On Tuesday morning 8/24 I looked on the FAA website for my N number (had it reserved) and the registration was completed (on the same day it arrived 8/23). I haven't received my official papers yet but I have my pink copy which is good for 90 days.

Talk about fast turn around. You should check on line and see if yours is completed as well.

Thanks Paul, however, I am still waiting for the Bill of Sale from Vans, need that to file for the registration.

I haven't received my official papers yet but I have my pink copy which is good for 90 days.

Be aware that the "pink" registration is only valid for aircraft that already have an airworthiness certificate.

Lars, thanks for the info, right now my first choice is Rancho Murieta, and my second is Lincoln.

Hadn't thought of Yolo-------are there any hangars available???

Oh yeah, Rancho Murieta- that's a lot closer, for sure.

I'm fairly certain there aren't any empty hangars at Yolo, but there are new hangars at the north end and at least a couple of RVers in there. I'd guess you could find temporary space if you needed it.

There are a lot more hangars and more activity at Lincoln than at Yolo. Sac RVators have a big presence there.

There are a lot more hangars and more activity at Lincoln than at Yolo. Sac RVators have a big presence there.

Believe me, that thought has crossed my mind more than once.:confused:

Rancho still seems to fit the bill better than any other.

Well, I just hope others will be able to learn from my most recent error.

I am just about ready to declare the 10 ready for inspection.

So, I decided it was time to get the paperwork going, so I would have everything ready for the inspector :)

I had gotten the EAA registration kit a few months ago, so I got it out of hiding, and started going through it-------Hmmm, what is this about sending the registration application to Oklahoma City 90--120 days ahead of time:eek:

I thought the guy who was going to inspect the plane took care of all that stuff when he came to visit.

WRONG:mad:

Stupid me, now I am looking at weeks or maybe months before the next step of the process can even begin----

So, for anybody out there even thinking about being done with their plane, dont forget the paperwork till the last minute.

As of now, I am in self imposed exile while I repeat my

I see you were in the Scouts too Eh, Mike

Final registration paper arrived yesterday

Mike,

I mailed my registration information in last Wednesday 8/18 (from AZ). It was a certified letter. I tracked it and it arrived Monday 8/23. On Tuesday morning 8/24 I looked on the FAA website for my N number (had it reserved) and the registration was completed (on the same day it arrived 8/23). I haven't received my official papers yet but I have my pink copy which is good for 90 days.

Talk about fast turn around. You should check on line and see if yours is completed as well.

Received the final registration paper yesterday 8/30. So from the day I mailed it in to receiving the final paper was 12 calender/8 business days.

Pretty good service.

Received the final registration paper yesterday 8/30. So from the day I mailed it in to receiving the final paper was 12 calender/8 business days.

Pretty good service.

That is the best news I have heard all day.

I picked up the Bill of Sale yesterday at Vans, all I need now is to have one form notarized, and mine goes in the mail in the morning-----:D

Pretty good service.

Yah - people complain about the FAA, but I've been generally impressed.

re: FAA service

I live in OKC and have called the FAA a few times inquiring about registration. They've always been very helpful and polite. They'll actually kind of joke around with you too.

Same with the Oklahoma Tax Commission. When I was registering the unfinished -10, I told them I had bought a partial kit. The lady asked"is it flying?" I told her no, She kind of, (I could see the smile on her face through the phone) She asked "will it?" Then chuckled a little. We visited a little bit then she told me when I get it finished just call & we'll get everything in order for you. BTW, our OK registration/tax is $10/year.:) for, up to a certain hp, then it increases a little after that, but not by much.

Marshall Alexander

Hey Marshall I ran in to the same issue here with my -7 just about ready to go and I'm sitting here with the Bill of Sale from van's but no completed 8050! Paperwork has never been my strong suit... OK I'll call it like it is, I MESSED UP and didn't go through the packet when I should have!

Would you happen to know the name of the company that will hand carry registration in to the FAA to get it processed for a "small fee"? The snow will fly here in Minnesota in less than 6 weeks and I really would like to do a first flight before then.

...or are you interested in collecting a "small fee" to carry it in? :rolleyes:

Thanks Marshall!

- Peter

FAA

I think any of the title companys in the OKC area will do this. I have used King Title, they are just west of OKC-El Reno???? $50 to expedite a reserved N number, but that may have increased.