N427EF

Well Known Member
I don't know who invented the too short screws on DB connectors
and then decided to make them without a slot.
Here is my solution:
Dremmel cut off wheel to make a slot and life becomes easier
when you have to remove those pesky short screws.

IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG

As opposed to mangling the screws with a pair of pliers.

IMG_1862.JPG

Another small trick.....

Since these screws don't need to be super tight, find a piece of plastic tubing that will fit snugly over the screw.
You can then tighten them down sufficiently and pull the tubing off.

Mel is right. If you tighten them too much, it tends to bring the post back out when you unscrew them (the post is the special hex-screw-with-a-tapped-head that you screw the connector screws into; it also often is used to attach the backplane connector to the case). It raises an interesting question, though: how to secure D-Sub connectors. You can't really depend on the screws. Should they be drilled and safety wired? Safety the connector itself somehow? Maybe some avionics guru will have the solution.

Mel is right. If you tighten them too much, it tends to bring the post back out when you unscrew them (the post is the special hex-screw-with-a-tapped-head that you screw the connector screws into; it also often is used to attach the backplane connector to the case). It raises an interesting question, though: how to secure D-Sub connectors. You can't really depend on the screws. Should they be drilled and safety wired? Safety the connector itself somehow? Maybe some avionics guru will have the solution.

The Garmin thumb-screws have holes drilled through them for safety wire - their D-Sub backshells are the most sphisticatd (and easiest to assemble) tat I have ever seen - and they aren't cheap either! They did some serious design work (to fix all the things we hate about D-subs), and apparently want to be paid for it.

Paul

learned something

I knew I would learn something when I shared my idea.
I like the idea using a piece of tubing.
The slot was not meant to enable an installer to apply brute force but rather
the use of a tool as opposed to your fingers or a pair of pliers.
What I like about builders posting tips, is the responses which always
generate more tips and often better options.
Thanks.